Over many years in the past, together with inputs, outputs, results, impact and sustainability, non-governmental organisations (NGOs) had always been caught in some values. This process requires a complete know-how of how NGOs monitor and measure performance, and what performance components result in good overall economic results, performance, and quality. In this paper we provide an overview of the distinctive concepts and mechanisms for assessing and monitoring overall performance in the NGOs sector.
Cite this article:
Pritam Kaushik, Jagrat Jaggi, Yash Jadhav, Badri Narayan Goswami, Aditya Dhuri. Parameters to measure performance of an NGO in India. Asian Journal of Management. 2020;11(3):349-361. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2020.00055.4
Pritam Kaushik, Jagrat Jaggi, Yash Jadhav, Badri Narayan Goswami, Aditya Dhuri. Parameters to measure performance of an NGO in India. Asian Journal of Management. 2020;11(3):349-361. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2020.00055.4 Available on: https://ajmjournal.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-11-3-21
1. Arjaliès, D. L., and Mundy, J. (2013). The use of management control systems to manage CSR strategy: A levers of control perspective. Management Accounting Research, 24(4), 284–300.
2. Bedford, D. S. (2015). Management control systems across different modes of innovation: Implications for firm performance. Management Accounting Research, 28, 12–30.
3. Besio, C., and Pronzini, A. (2014). Morality, ethics, and values outside and inside organizations: An exemple of the discourse on climate change. Journal of Business Ethics, 119(3), 287–300.
4. Bisbe, J., and Otley, D. (2004). The effects of interactive use of management control systems on product innovation. Accounting, Organizations and Society, 29, 709–737.
5. Bisbe, J., and Malagueno, R. (2009). The choice of interactive control systems under different innovation management tools. European Accounting Review, 18(2), 371–405.
6. Bruining, H., Bonnet, M., and Wright, M. (2004). Management control systems and strategy change in buyouts. Management Accounting Research, 15(2), 155–177
7. Chang, C.-H. (2011). The influence of corporate environmental ethics on competitive advantage: The mediation role of green innovation. Journal of Business Ethics, 104(3), 361–370.
8. Epstein, Marc J., and F. Warren McFarlan. "Measuring the efficiency and effectiveness of a nonprofit's performance." Strategic Finance, vol. 93, no. 4, Oct. 2011, p. 27+. Gale Academic OneFile, Accessed 6 Mar. 2020.
9. Goebel, S., and Wei Benberger, B. E. (2017). The relationship between informal controls, ethical work climates, and organizational performance. Journal of Business Ethics, 141(3), 505–528.
10. Gond, J.-P., Grubnic, S., Herzig, C., and Moon, J. (2012). Configuring management control systems: theorizing the integration of strategy and sustainability. Management Accounting Research, 23(3), 205–223.
11. Journeault, M. (2016). The influence of the eco-control package on environmental and economic performance: A natural resource based approach. Journal of Management Accounting Research,28(2), 149–178.
12. Lisi, I. E. (2015). Translating environmental motivations into performance: The role of environmental performance measurement systems. Management Accounting Research, 29(4), 27–44.
13. Lopez-Gamero, M. D., Claver-Cortes, E., and Molina-Azonrin, J. F.(2008). Complementary resources and capabilities for an ethical and environmental management: A qual/quan study. Journal of Business Ethics, 82(3), 701–732.
14. Nilsson, F. (2002). Recent advances in performance management: The nordic case. European Management Journal, 20(3), 235–246.
15. Pattanaik S.K. and Chaudhury S. K. (2011), Taxation of Non-Profit Organizations in India in Changing Scenario: A Reform Experience, Asian Journal of Management, Vol. 2(3), pp. 141-146
16. Scott, W. R. (2001). Institutions and organizations. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publication.
17. Shapiro, B. (2016). Using traditional narratives and other narrative devices to enact humanizing business practices. Journal of Business Ethics, 139(1), 1–19.
18. Simons, R. (1995). Levers of control: How managers use innovative control systems to drive strategic renewal. Boston: Harvard Business School Press.
19. V. Terry Lewis (2009): Practical Financial Management for NGOs-Mango (Management Accounting for Nongovernmental Organisations)