Interest in workplace happiness as a scholarly topic has grown in recent years. The present research is aimed to investigate the inter-relationship between workplace stress, workplace motivation and workplace happiness. During this post lockdown period, there is an increased risk to get contacted with COVID-19. Employees would be able to focus upon their work only if they are experiencing parental behavior from their employers. Their stress needs to be managed effectively to be motivated enough to do their work in order to get desired performance. To examine the relationship between variables considered for the study, correlation and multiple regression analysis is used. Implications, limitations, suggestions for business organization and future scope of the study have been discussed at the end of the article.
Cite this article:
Abha Toshniwal, Rajeshwari Narendran. An Intertwined approach to workplace Happiness, Workplace Motivation and Workplace Stress: A Study on covid-19 Lockdown. Asian Journal of Management. 2020;11(4):407-412. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2020.00062.1
1. Hui DS et al. The continuing 2019-nCoV epidemic threat of novel coronaviruses to global health—The latest 2019 novel coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan, China. International Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2020; 91: 264–266.
2. Mayo Clinic. Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Symptoms and causes. Available from: URL: https://www.mayoclinic.org/ diseases-conditions/coronavirus/ symptoms- causes/syc-20479963.
3. Ward, Alex. India coronavirus lockdown and its looming crisis, explained. Available from: URL: https://www.vox.com/2020/3 /24/21190868/coronavirus-india-modi-lockdown-kashmir.
4. Gettleman Jeffrey and Schultz Kai. Modi Orders 3-Week Total Lockdown for All 1.3 Billion Indians. The New York Times. Available from: URL: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/24/ world/asia/india-coronavirus-lockdown.html.
5. The Lancet. India under COVID-19 lockdown. (2020). Available from: URL: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/ PIIS0140-6736(20)30938-7/fulltext.
6. PM Modi announces extension of lockdown till 3 May, economy to open up gradually in lockdown 2.0. Available from: URL: https://www.livemint.com/news/india/pm-modi-announces-extension-of-lockdown-till-3-may-11586839412073.html.
7. 2 More Weeks of Lockdown Starting May 4. Available from: URL: https://www.ndtv.com/video/news/news/2-more-weeks-of-lockdown-starting-may-4-547282.
8. Centre extends nationwide lockdown till May 31, new guidelines issued. Available from: URL: https://www.tribuneindia.com/ news/nation/centre-extends-nationwide-lockdown-till-may-31-new-guidelines-issued-86042.
9. Sharma, Neeta. Unlock1": Malls, Restaurants, and Places Of Worship To Reopen June 8. Available from: URL: https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/lockdown-extended-till-june-30-malls-restaurants-can-reopen-from-june-8-except-in-containment-zones-2237910.
10. Data about Coronavirus cases is available from: URL: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/india/.
11. Nicola Maria et al. The socio-economic implications of the corona virus pandemic (COVID-19): A review. International Journal of Surgery. 2020; 78:185-193.
12. Dulk L et al. National context in work-life research: A multi-level cross-national analysis of the adoption of workplace work-life arrangements in Europe. European Management Journal. 2013; Available from: URL: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ article/abs/pii/S0263237313000704.
13. Manka, ML. The joy of work. Helsinki: WSOYpro. 2011.
14. Seligman M. Authentic happiness. London: Nicholas Brealey Publishing. 2003
15. Veenhoven R. How universal is happiness? In International differences in wellbeing by Diener E, Helliwell J & Kahneman D (eds.). New York, Oxford University Press, 2010: 328-355.
16. Salerno S. Ignorance of Bliss, Skeptic. 2010; 16 (1):52-59.
17. Seligman Martin (2018): PERMA and the building blocks of well-being, The Journal of Positive Psychology, Available from: URL: https://ppc.sas.upenn.edu/sites/default/files/ permawellbeing.pdf.
18. Manka, ML. The joy of work. Helsinki: WSOYpro. 2011.
19. Kaul Aditi and Sen Chandrani. Engaged Workforce: A Key Ingredient for Happiness at Work. Indian Journal of Psychological Science, 2015; 5 (2): 42-45.
20. Roy Rituparna and Konwar Juthika. Workplace Happiness: A Conceptual Framework. International Journal of Scientific & Technology Research, 2020; 9(1).
21. Kazmi Syed et al. COVID-19 and Lockdown: A Study on the Impact on Mental Health. Available from: URL: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3577515.
22. Downes Jason. Managing and reducing stress in the workplace. Available from: URL: http://hrnews.co.uk/managing-and-reducing-stress-in-the-workplace/.
23. Bean Sara. Good working relationships and less stress are key to workplace happiness. Avilable from: URL: https:// workplaceinsight.net/interpersonal-relationships-and-less-stress-are-key-to-workplace-happiness/
24. Prasad K et al. Effect of Occupational Stress and Remote Working on Psychological Wellbeing of Employees: An Empirical Study during Covid-19 Pandemic with Reference to Information Technology Industry around Hyderabad. Avilable from: URL: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/ 341778937_Effect_of_occupational_stress_and_remote_working_on_psychological_well-being_of_employees_an_empirical_analysis_during_covid-19_pandemic_concerning_information_technology_industry_in_hyderabad.
25. Naseem Khalida. Job Stress, Happiness and Life Satisfaction: The Moderating Role of Emotional Intelligence Empirical Study in Telecommunication Sector Pakistan. Avilable from: URL: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323165473_Job_Stress_Happiness_and_Life_Satisfaction_The_Moderating_Role_of_Emotional_Intelligence_Empirical_Study_in_Telecommunication_Sector_Pakistan.
26. Tasnim Zerin. Happiness at Workplace: Building a Conceptual Framework. World Journal of Social Sciences. 2016; 6(2): 62 – 70
27. Kolar Carrie. Workplace Happiness and Employee Motivation. Available from: URL: https://blog.rpoassociation.org/blog/ workplace-happiness-and-employee-motivation
28. Fisher Cynthia D. Happiness at Work. International Journal of Management Reviews, 2010); 12:384–412
29. Tasnim Zerin. Happiness at Workplace: Building a Conceptual Framework. World Journal of Social Sciences. 2016; 6(2): 62 – 70
30. Maheshwari Prateek et al. An empirical approach to consumer buying behavior in Indian automobile sector. Industrial and Commercial Training. 2016; 48:156-162.
31. Bean Sara. Good working relationships and less stress are key to workplace happiness. Available from: URL: https:// workplaceinsight.net/interpersonal-relationships-and-less-stress-are-key-to-workplace-happiness/
32. Tasnim Zerin. Happiness at Workplace: Building a Conceptual Framework. World Journal of Social Sciences. 2016; 6(2): 62 – 70
33. Rao G V et al. A study on Factors of Workplace Happiness. Asian Journal of Management. 2018; 9 (1): 251-260.
34. Boehm J. K. and Lyubomirsky S. Does Happiness promote Career Success ? Journal of Career Assessment. 1991; 20(10):1–16.
35. Andrew S S. S.M.I.L.E.S.: The differentiating Quotient for Happiness at Work. 2011, Available from: URL: https://www.happiestminds.com/whitepapers/smiles-differentiating-quotient-for-happiness-at-work.pdf
36. Suojanen Ilona. Work for your happiness - Theoretical and empirical study defining and measuring happiness at work. Thesis, 2012. Available from: URL: https://www.utupub.fi/ bitstream/handle/10024/84847/gradu2012Suojanen-Ilona.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y.
37. Streimikiene D and Grundey D. Life Satisfaction and Happiness–The factors in Work Performance, GUEST EDITORIAL, Economics & Sociology. 2009; 2(1): 9-26.
38. Mohammed, Abdulquddus & Abdul, Quddus. (2019). Workplace Happiness and Positivity: Measurement, Causes and Consequences. Available from: URL: https:// www.researchgate.net/publication/333386417_Workplace_Happiness_and_Positivity_Measurement_Causes_and_Consequences.