Sanjeeb Kumar Dey, Satyaranjan Garu
firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
Sanjeeb Kumar Dey1*, Satyaranjan Garu2
1Principal Investigator, OURIIP Seed Fund Research Project, Department of Commerce, Ravenshaw University, Odisha - 753003, India.
2Project Assistant, Department of Commerce, Ravenshaw University, Odisha - 753003, India.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2022
Goods and Services Tax is one of the major tax reforms in indirect tax structure in post-independence India. The prime motive of introducing goods and services tax is to form an uniform tax structure applicable to whole India. The study focuses to explore level of understanding about common idea of goods and services tax and to evaluate the perspicacity of customers about impact of GST on prices of goods and services. A structured questionnaire has been used for data collection from different districts of Odisha and statistical methods including chi-square test, paired t test and descriptive statistics were used for empirical analysis. We find that opinion of customers’ regarding increase in cost of services after GST differ from customer to customer and tax as an important determinant for purchase decision is independent of demographic profile.
Cite this article:
Sanjeeb Kumar Dey, Satyaranjan Garu. A Survey of Consumers’ Perspicacity towards Goods and Services Tax in Odisha. Asian Journal of Management. 2022;13(2):155-9. doi: 10.52711/2321-5763.2022.00028
Sanjeeb Kumar Dey, Satyaranjan Garu. A Survey of Consumers’ Perspicacity towards Goods and Services Tax in Odisha. Asian Journal of Management. 2022;13(2):155-9. doi: 10.52711/2321-5763.2022.00028 Available on: https://ajmjournal.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-13-2-10
1. Agarwal, A., Sekhani, R., and Mohan, D. (2018). Short-Term Impact of GST on Small and Medium Businesses across India. Centre for New Economics Studies (CNES),1- 33.
2. Antony, J., and Johan, R. (2020). An evaluation of retailers Anagamaly Under GST regime. Dhan – Path ‘20 (pp76-81). Kerala, India: NIMITP.
3. Ball, C., Creedy, J., and Ryan, M. (2016). Food expenditure and GST in New Zealand. New Zealand Economic Papers, 50(2), 115–128. https://doi.org/10.1080/00779954.2014.971480
4. Benedict, S., Mariya, R., and George, G. (2020). Impact of GST on Telecommunications Sector. Dhan – Path ‘20 (pp72-75). Kerala, India: NIMITP.
5. Carvalho, E., and Lian, Z. (2010). The Impact of Goods and Services Tax on the Pattern of Canadian Consumer Spending and Saving. The Journal of Economic Asymmetries, 7(1), 123–136. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeca.2010.01.007
6. Chakraborty, S. (2018). A Study on Impact of Goods and Services Tax on Indian Textile Industry. Research Review International Journal of Multidisciplinary, 03(11), 86-91.
7. Claus, I. (2014). GST Compliance in the New Zealand Property Sector. Fiscal Studies, 35(2), 225–240. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-5890.2014.12029.x
8. Dey, S. K., Nanda, C. S. K., and Pathy, M. (2020). Impact of Goods and Services Tax (GST) On Customers ’perception in Odisha: An Empirical Study. International Journal of Management (IJM), 11(12), 667-678.
9. Dey, S. K. and Jena, A. K. (2018). Impact of GST on indirect tax revenue: Appraisal of literature. Siddhant-A Journal of Decision Making, 18(3), 224-234.
10. Ehrich, L. C., and Billett, S. (2006). How Australian Small Business Operators Learned about the Goods and Services Tax. Small Enterprise Research, 14(2), 59–73. https://doi.org/10.5172/ser.14.2.59
11. Garg, K., Chawla, M., Chawla, C., and Taneja, S. (2018). Impact of goods and services tax on business. International Journal of Education and Management Studies, 8(2), 312-314.
12. George, A., and Padmas, S. (2020). A Study on Impact of GST System to Retailers with Special Reference to Ernakulam District. Dhan – Path ‘20 (pp93-99). Kerala, India: NIMITP.
13. Gupta, L., and Agarwal, A. (2018). Awareness and Understanding of GST among Indian Consumers: An Empirical Study. VISION : Journal of Indian Taxation, 4(02). https://doi.org/10.17492/vision.v4i02.11777
14. Hasan, S., and Sinning, M. (2018). GST Reform in Australia: Implications of Estimating Price Elasticities of Demand for Food. Economic Record, 94(306), 239–254. https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-4932.12412
15. Kakkar, B. H. (2020.). Goods and Services Tax (GST) impact on E-Commerce Sector in India. Studies in Indian Place, 40(11), 197-207.
16. Kumar, C. R. (2017). GST in Indian Economy: It’s Benefits and Impact. International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR), 6 (11), 759-761.
17. Muraleedharan, B. (2020). Goods and Services Tax in India – A Post Implementation Analysis in Hospitality Sector. Dhan –Path ‘20 (pp31-34). Kerala, India: NIMITP.
18. Mussaiyib, A. M. (2016). Goods and Services Tax in India: An Insight. International Journal of Research and Innovation in Applied Science (IJRIAS), 1(6), 10-15.
19. Nandagopal, L., Santhi, V., and Laxmidhar, B.(2017). Goods and Services Tax: Impacts and Challenges. HuSS: International Journal of Research in Humanities and Social Sciences, 4(2), 94-99. https://doi.org/10.15613/hijrh/2017/v4i2/167547
20. Panwar, D., and Patra, S. (2017). Impact of Goods and Services Tax on the Restaurants and Food Service Businesses in India. International Journal of Applied Business and Economic Research, 15 (23), 203-213.
21. Paul, A., Heera, T.B., and Archana, K. (2020). Impact of GST on Travel and Tourism Industry in India. Dhan – Path ‘20 (pp62-65). Kerala, India: NIMITP.
22. Priya, L., and Babu, B.K. (2020). Impact of GST in Small and Medium Enterprises with Special Reference to Textile Industry. Dhan – Path ’20 (pp25-30). Kerala, India: NIMITP.
23. Rastogi, S., and Agarwal, S. K. (2018). Zero Rated GST on Indian Sezs: An Analysis. Journal of Advances and Scholarly Researches in Allied Education, 15(9), 124–131. https://doi.org/10.29070/15/57940
24. Sivapraksh, S. J. and Raj, J. (2017). A Perception Mapping study on the needs and impact of GST in Insurance Sector. Emperor International Journal of Finance and Management Research, 1(14), 67-72.
25. Sudhanesh, R., Indurani, P., and Deepika, P. (2018). An Analysis on the Role of IoT on GST Implementation. International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, 7 (8), 137-142.
26. Tony, V.M., and Abraham, M. (2020). A Study on the Impact of GST on Entertainment Sector. Dhan – Path ‘20 (pp66-71). Kerala, India: NIMITP.
27. Valadkhani, A. (2005). Goods and Services Tax Effects on Goods and Services Included in the Consumer Price Index Basket. Economic Record, 81(s1), S104–S114. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-4932.2005.00252.x