The paper aims at ascertaining the determinants of profitability for telecommunication industry. We use the financial data of forty-eight telecommunication industry companies listed in the Indian stock exchanges. The result of the data shows that that working capital to total assets, working capital to operating expenditure, retained earnings to total assets, logarithm of sales and logarithm of PBIT by total assets emerge as major determinants of the financial performance of telecommunications. The results of the study may be used to compare with other foreign telecommunication companies to understand the determinants of profitability. Further studies can be undertaken for company wise analysis in telecommunication industry in India.
Cite this article:
V Rajesh Kumar. Determinants of Profitability of Indian Telecommunication Companies. Asian Journal of Management. 2022;13(2):127-3. doi: 10.52711/2321-5763.2022.00023
V Rajesh Kumar. Determinants of Profitability of Indian Telecommunication Companies. Asian Journal of Management. 2022;13(2):127-3. doi: 10.52711/2321-5763.2022.00023 Available on: https://ajmjournal.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-13-2-5
1. Ali Senturk H, Gokhan Yazici and Burcin Kaplanoglu S (2004), Case Study: Izmit Domestic and Industrial Water Supply Build–Operate–Transfer Project, Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 130/ 3, 449-454.
2. Ananda Kumar, V. Subramanian (2015), Profitability Analysis (A Study Conducted in Whirlpool of India Limited and Compared with Selected Competitors). Asian J. Management; 6(3): July-Sept. 241-246
3. Ashok Kumar Panigrahi (2012), Impact of Working Capital Management on Profitability –A Case Study of ACC Ltd. Asian J. Management 3(4): Oct.-Dec., 210-218.
4. Bismark Maka, N. Suresh (2018). Review of Financial Performance analysis of Corporate Organizations. Asian Journal of Management. 9(1):500-506.
5. Chen Chuan and John I Messner (2005), An investigation of Chinese BOT projects in water supply: a comparative perspective, Construction Management and Economics, 23/9, 913–925.
6. Cinca C.S, Molinero C.M, and Larraz J.L.G. (2005), Country and size effects in financial ratios: A European perspective. Global Finance Journal, 16/8, 26–47.
7. Dale W. Jorgenson, Mun S. Ho, and Kevin J. Stiroh (2008), A Retrospective Look at the U.S. Productivity Growth Resurgence, Journal of Economic Perspectives, 22/1, 3–24.
8. Edward Nelling and Elizabeth Webb (2009), corporate social responsibility and financial performance, the virtuous circle revisited, Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, 32/2, 197- 209.
9. Frederick L, Muller Bruce D, Fielitz Myron T, Greene (1984), Portfolio Performance in Relation to Quality, Earnings, Dividends, Firm Size, Leverage, and Return on Equity, The Journal of Financial Research, 7/1, 17-26.
10. Gnanavelu N (1996), Case Study of Financial Performance of Sakthi Sugars Limited, M.Phil Dissertation, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore-46.
11. Hasnath, Syed Abu & Chatterjee Lata (1990), Public Construction in the United States: An Analysis of Expenditure Patterns, The Annals of Regional Science, Springer; Western Regional Science Association, 24/2, 133-145.
12. Jasminder Kaur, Harsh Vineet Kaur (2015), Impact of Financial Leverage on Profitability of Fast Moving Consumer Goods Companies Listed on BSE. Asian J. Management; 6(4): Oct. -Dec., 276-282
13. Karadeniz Erdinc, Serkan Yilmaz Kandir, Mehmet Balcilar and Yildirim Beyazit Onal (2009), Determinants of capital structure: evidence from Turkish lodging companies. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 21/5, 594-609.
14. Karthikeyan (2000), Financial performance of selected automobile companies-an analytical study, Journal of Financial Economics, 31/2, 135-175.
15. Kavitha S.K and Mohanraj V (2019), Determinants of Capital Structure with Special Reference to Selected Automobile Companies. International Journal of Scientific Research and Review, 8/1, 275-280.
16. Manjunatha and Vikas (2021), An Empirical Study on Financial Pattern of Infrastructure Sectors in India, Asian Journal of Management, 12/2, 221-227.
17. Manjunatha T and Praveen Gujjar J (2018a), Performance Analysis of Indian Information Technology Companies Using DuPont Model, IUP Journal of Management Research, 17/ 4, 1-6.
18. Manjunatha T and Praveen Gujjar J (2018b), Extended DuPont Ratio Analysis of Indian Information Technology Companies, Pacific Business Review International, 11/5, 5-14.
19. Manjunatha T, Vikas K M and Praveen Gujjar J et.al (2020), A Study on Profitability Analysis of Infrastructure Companies in India, Pacific Business Review International, 13/ 3, 57-63.
20. Narware and Vivek Sharma (2004), Liquidity management of HPC Ltd-An Empirical Study, The Management Accountant, 2/7, 201 – 203.
21. Pawaskar V (2001), Effects of Mergers on Corporate Performance in India, Vikalpa, Vol. 26, Issue 1, pp. 19-32
22. Pratibha Barik (2011), General Life Satisfaction of Female Professionals Across Different Organizations. Asian Journal Management 2(4), 197-201.
23. Praveen Gujjar J and Manjunatha T (2018), Profitability Analysis of Indian Information Technology Companies using DuPont Model. Asian Journal of Management. 2018; 9(3), 1105-1108.
24. Praveen Gujjar J and Manjunatha (2021), Testing of Dupont Model for Software and Training Services Companies in India, Asian Journal of Management, 12/2, 169-180.
25. R. Anitha, K. Nowfal (2014). Impact of Liquidity Management on Profitability: A Case Study of Malappuram Co-Operative Spinning Mills Limited, Kerala. Asian J. Management 5(3): July-September, 354-358.
26. Rakesh Kumar Sharma (2018), Factors affecting financial leveraging for BSE listed real estate development companies in India. Journal of Financial Management of Property and Construction, 23/3, 274-294.
27. Rakesh M, Janet Jyothi D Souza (2018), Impact of Capital Structure on Profitability. Asian Journal of Management. 9(3):1067-1072
28. Rupal Muduli and Udayan Das(2018). Investment in Pharma Stocks in BSE: A Performance Analysis. Asian Journal of Management. 9(1), 351-358.
29. Saurabh Chadha and Anil K Sharma (2016), Capital Structure and Firm Performance: Empirical Evidence from India, Vision, 19(4), 95–302.
30. Titman Sheridan and Roberto Wessel (1988), The Determinants of Capital Structure Choice, The Journal of Finance, XLIII/1, 1-19
31. Venkata Ramana N, S. Md. Azash and K. Ramakrishnaiah (2011), Impact of Liquidity Management on Profitability: A Case Study of Lanco Industries Limited (LIL), Srikalahasthi (AP). Asian J. Management 2(4), 182-185.