Victor Wilson, K. M. Sharath Kumar, Suresh N.
Victor Wilson1*, K. M. Sharath Kumar2, Suresh N.3
1Ph.D. Scholar, M.S. Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences, Bangalore – 560054.
2Ph.D. Supervisor, Director - Research, M.S. Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences, Bangalore – 560054.
3Ph.D. Co-Supervisor, Professor, M.S. Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences, Bangalore – 560054.
Volume - 11,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2020
This study is an examination of the National Health Insurance Levy (NHIL) collections in Ghana. The research direction aims to develop a framework for enhanced revenue collection of health insurance levies in Ghana through the proposed implementation strategies. Moreover, the developed framework can act as a guideline for Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA) to curb the challenges and enhance the collection of NHIL in parallel. Quantitative and Qualitative research approaches were adopted for this study. Out of sixteen regions, two cases were studied in one region of Ghana. The two cases studied are Head Office and Spintex Road MTO office of GRA which are most appropriate because 95% of NHIL is collected in the study region (Greater Accra). However, the remaining 5% is collected by the fifteen other regions in Ghana.With a research population of 2065 and Margin of Error (8%), a sample size of 210 was determined using the stratified random technique. Data analysis was carried out and validated using Z-test hypothesis test. The overall impact of the developed framework on the collection of NHIL in Ghana leads to enhanced collection of NHIL by 31.18% to ensure Universal coverage of healthcare for all persons irrespective of the individual’s financial status in Ghana.
Cite this article:
Victor Wilson, K. M. Sharath Kumar, Suresh N. Development of a Framework for Enhanced Collection of National Health Insurance Levies in Ghana. Asian Journal of Management. 2020;11(4):389-394. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2020.00059.1
Victor Wilson, K. M. Sharath Kumar, Suresh N. Development of a Framework for Enhanced Collection of National Health Insurance Levies in Ghana. Asian Journal of Management. 2020;11(4):389-394. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2020.00059.1 Available on: https://ajmjournal.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-11-4-4
1. Abel-Smith, B. and Rawal, P. (1992). "Can the poor afford "free" health services? A study of Tanzania." Health Policy and Planning 7(4): 329-341.
2. Adams, I. and Darko, D. (2002). "Effects of the exemption policy on utilization of hospital services in the three northern regions of Ghana (1998-2000)." Bulletin of Health Information 1(2and3): 14-18.
3. Anim (2017) "Implementation of social health care in Low and Middle-Income Countries." Health Affairs 2017(4): 1056-1066.
4. Asiedu (2017) "Effects of the implementation of the National Health Insurance Policy in Ghana" Bulletin of Health Information 2(3): 14-18.
5. Akoto, I. (2008) “Demand for Voluntary health insurance by the poor in developing countries: Evidence from rural Ghana”. Centre for Development Research (ZEF), University of Boon.
6. EQUITAP (2005) “Who pays for health care in Asia? Colombo, Institute of Policy Studies.
7. Ghana Revenue Authority Annual Report (2016).www.gra.org.gh (accessed on 2nd January, 2018)
8. Ghana Revenue Authority Annual Report (2017). www.gra.org.gh(accessed on 10th January, 2019)
9. Ghana Revenue Authority Annual Report (2018). www.gra.org.gh(accessed on 17th February, 2019)
10. Ghana Revenue Authority Annual Report (2019). www.gra.org.gh(accessed on 20th February, 2020)
11. McIntyre, D. and Doherty J. (2003) “A tale of two visions: the changing fortunes of social health insurance in South Africa”. Health Policy and Planning
12. O’Donnell, O. and Van Doorslaer (2008) “Analysing Health Equity using household survey data. A guide to techniques and their implementation”. World Bank Institute.
13. O’Donnell, O. and Van Doorslaer (2008) “Who pays for healthcare in Asia”. Journal of Health Economics 27:460-475.
14. Smith, P. (2006), “Formula funding of public services”. London: Routledge.
15. WHO/HTM/TDR (2004) “Scaling up Home Management of Malaria: From Research to Implementation”. Geneva, WHO/ TDR/UNICEF/UNDP/World Bank.