Ravi Kumar J S, T. Narayana Reddy, Syed Mohammad Ghouse
email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
Ravi Kumar J S1, Dr. T. Narayana Reddy2, Dr. Syed Mohammad Ghouse3
1Asst Professor, Department of Management Studies, Ballari Institute of Technology and Management, Ballari, Research Scholar, Department of Management, Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Ananthapuramu, Andhra Pradesh, India.
2Assoc Professor, Department of Management, Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Ananthapuramu, Andhra Pradesh, India.
3Associate Professor, Presidency University, Bangalore, Karnataka, India.
Volume - 12,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2021
In recent years there has been increased discussion of the subjective, emotional and sociological factors influencing student choice of university. However, there is a dearth of information exploring what constitutes these feelings. This exploratory paper uses the conceptual model of the servicescape to provide insight into the emotional factors driving student choice. In-depth interviews with prospective students revealed that first impressions really do count. Students are deterred by poor physical environments and excited by enthusiastic staff and students. Most significantly, the study revealed the necessity of a restorative servicescape to provide both a sense of escape and feeling of belonging. This paper contributes to broadening the application of the servicescape model and to a greater understanding of the impact of the environment on prospective students, and creates an opportunity to inform policy by providing university marketing decision makers with a better understanding of what constitutes the university environment and what makes it appealing to prospective students.
Cite this article:
Ravi Kumar J S, T. Narayana Reddy, Syed Mohammad Ghouse. Role of Servicescape on Student Institution Choice. Asian Journal of Management. 2021; 12(3):271-8. doi: 10.52711/2321-5763.2021.00041
Ravi Kumar J S, T. Narayana Reddy, Syed Mohammad Ghouse. Role of Servicescape on Student Institution Choice. Asian Journal of Management. 2021; 12(3):271-8. doi: 10.52711/2321-5763.2021.00041 Available on: https://ajmjournal.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-12-3-6
1. Anderson, C.K. and Wilson, J.G. (2003). “Wait or buy? The strategic consumer: pricing and profit implications”. Journal of the Operational Research Society, 54(3):299-306.
2. Anderson, J. C. and Narus, J. A. (1998) “Business marketing: Understand what customer’s value”. Harvard Business Review, Vol. 76, No. 6, pp. 53- 55, 58-65.
3. Anushree Chauhan, Manisha Goel, Ritu Gandhi Arora. Impact of Organisational Variables on Higher Education Academicians. Asian Journal of Management. 2018; 9(4): 1259-1272. doi: 0.5958/2321-5763.2018.00201.9
4. Ashok Kumar Madhav, Sandeep, Mervin Felix Caleb. Need for Paradigm shift of Traditional Management Education Services Marketing Mix from Traditional to Modern Marketing approaches. Asian J. Management 5(2): April-June, 2014 page 255-260.
5. Bhuvana Venkat Raman, Shivangi Jaiswal. Impact of Social Media Marketing on Business Exposure and Customer Response: A Study on Educational Institutes of Chhattisgarh. Asian J. Management; 2017; 8(3):815-818. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2017.00128.7
6. Burke, R.R. (1996), “Do you see what I see? The future of virtual shopping”, Journal of the Academy of Science, Vol. 25 No. 4, pp. 352-60.
7. Buschmann,. F. Meunier .R. Rohnert H., Sommerlad P., and Stal M. (1996): Pattern-oriented Software Architecture. London: SAGE Publication Lewin, A. M., Lewin, P. A. (2005). A Multi-Attribute Analysis of Preferences for Online and Offline Shopping: Differences across Products, Consumers and Shopping Stages, Journal of Electronic Commerce Research, 6 (4), 130-149.
8. Clemes M. D., Gan C., and Zhang J. (2014). “An empirical analysis of online shopping adoption in Beijing China Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services”, 21 (3), pp.364–375
9. Dan Huang and Zhiyong Li and Jian Mou and Xinyi Liu, 2017. "Effects of flow on young Chinese consumers’ purchase intention: a study of e-servicescape in hotel booking context," Information Technology and Tourism, Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 203-228, June.
10. Fairbank, J. F., Labianca, G. J., Steensma, H. K., and Metters, R. (2006). Information processing design choices, strategy and risk management performance. Journal of Management Information Systems, 23(1),293– 319.
11. Ghauri, P. N., and Cateora, P. R. (2010). International marketing (3. Ed.). Maidenhead: McGraw-Hill.
12. Hair, Joe and Sarstedt, Marko and Hopkins, Lucas and Kuppelwieser, Volker. (2014). Partial Least Squares Structural Equation Modeling (PLS-SEM): An Emerging Tool for Business Research. European Business Review. 26. 106-121. 10.1108/EBR-10-2013-0128.
13. Hakim, Lukmanul and Deswindi, Leli. (2015). Assessing the Effects of e-servicescape on Customer Intention: A Study on the Hospital Websites in South Jakarta. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences. 169. 227-239. 10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.01.306.
14. Jarvelainen, J. and Puhakainen, J., “Distrust of One's Own Web Skills: A Reason for Offline Booking after Online Information Search”, Electronic Markets, vol.14, no.4, pp. 333-343, 2004.
15. Madden a .D. (2000): "A definition of information", Aslib Proceedings, Vol. 52 Iss: 9, pp.343 – 349 Badre, A. (2002): Shaping Web Usability. Boston: Pearson Education, Inc.
16. Mukherjee A. and et al, (2007), "Role of electronic trust in online retailing", European Journal of Marketing, Vol. 41 Iss 9 /10 pp. 1173 – 1202.
17. N. Koch and A. Kraus, "The Expressive Power of Uml-Based Web Engineering," In Second International Workshop on Web-Oriented Software Technology (IWWOST02) Germany, 2002
18. Nusrat- Jahan Abubakar, Grumail Sighn, Issah Mohammed. Development of Total Quality Management Framework for Higher Education Institutions in Ghana- A Case Study of Three Public Universities. Asian Journal of Management. 2018; 9(1):383-392. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2018.00059.8
19. Rattan Lal. Higher Education in India: Emerging Issues and Challenges. Res. J. Humanities and Social Sciences. 2019; 10(2):672-676. doi: 10.5958/2321-5828.2019.00110.4
20. Richard Kodi, K.M. Sharath Kumar. Assessment of Key Determinants in academic Quality and their Inter-Dependencies between private and public HEIS in Ghana. Asian Journal of Management. 2020;11(4):457-467. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2020.00070.0
21. Shaili Vasant Gala. An Empirical Study of Arts and Commerce Degree Colleges of Mumbai with respect to Knowledge Management Practices. Asian Journal of Management. 2018; 9(1):611-618. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2018.00096.3
22. Sneha Bhasin. Input Output in Education. Res. J. Humanities and Social Sciences. 2019; 10(1): 91-96. doi: 10.5958/2321-5828.2019.00016.0
23. Umar Mufeed. Examining the Relationship between Leadership and Institution Building Practices: A Study of Select Institutions of Higher Learning. Asian Journal of Management. 2018; 9(2):869-874. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2018.00137.3