India is witnessing tremendous growth in the acceptance of online shopping among people. To harness this opportunity, it is important to understand and ensure repurchase intention among customers. Hence, this research article explored the mediating role of trust between satisfaction and repurchase intention in online shopping context. The conceptual repurchase model was developed and tested using SEM on empirical data of 562 online shoppers. Results showed significant influence of satisfaction on repurchase intention and a partial mediation effect of trust between satisfaction and repurchase intention. The predictive power of the research model increased from 58% to 64 % due to mediation. The findings suggested that making efforts to improve the feeling of satisfaction and building trust are two stepping stones to enhance repurchase intention among customers. The result of the present research can help online marketers in understanding the importance of trust along with satisfaction for ensuring continuation among old customers. Also, present research will make value addition in ever-increasing online marketing literature.
Cite this article:
Neeti Gupta. An Empirical model of Satisfaction, trust, and Repurchase intention in online shopping. Asian Journal of Management. 2020;11(2):167-173. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2020.00026.8
1. Ali, T. (2016). Factors Deriving Consumers’ Repurchase Intention in Online Shopping: A Pakistani Consumer’s Perspective. International Journal of Management Sciences and Business Research, 5(12), 261-270.
2. Al-maghrabi, T., Dennis, C., Halliday, S.V., andAli, A.B (2011). Determinants of Customer Continuance Intention of Online Shopping. Int. Journal of Business Science and Applied Management, 6(1), 41-65.
3. Anderson, R. E. and Srinivasan, S. S. (2003) E-satisfaction and e-loyalty: A contingency framework. Psychology and Marketing, 20(2), 123–138.
4. Ashfaq. M., Yun, J., Waheed, A., Khan, M.S., and Farrukh, M. (2019). Customers’ Expectation, Satisfaction, and Repurchase Intention of Used Products Online: Empirical Evidence from China. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2158244019846212
5. Azam, A, Qiang, F and Abdullah, I. M., (2012) E-satisfaction in Business-to-Consumer Electronic Commerce, International Trade and Academic Research Conference (ITARC), 7 – 8th November, 2012, London.UK, 18-26.
6. Bao, J. (2015). The Impacts of E-service Quality on Customers' Repurchase Intention in Platform Online Retailing: An Empirical Investigation. WHICEB (Wuhan International Conference on e-Business) Proceedings. 15. 297-306. Available at http://aisel.aisnet.org/whiceb2015/15
7. Baron, R. M., and Kenny, D. A. (1986). The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic and statistical considerations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 5, 1173-1182.
8. Bhattacherjee, A. (2001). Understanding Information Systems Continuance: An Expectation Confirmation Model. MIS Quarterly, 25(3), 351-370.
9. Chandra, S. (nd) India-The Top Retail Destination. https://www.investindia.gov.in/sector/retail-e-commerce
10. Chiu, C. M., Wang, E. T., Fang, Y. H., and Huang, H. Y. (2014). Understanding customers' repeat purchase intentions in B2C e-commerce: the roles of utilitarian value, hedonic value and perceived risk. Information Systems Journal, 24(1), 85-114.
11. Chou, S., Chen, C. and Lin, J. (2015). Female online shoppers. Internet Research, 25(4), 542-561. https://doi.org/10.1108/IntR-01-2014-0006
12. Curtis, T., Abratt, R., Rhoades. D. L., and Dion, P. (2011). Customer Loyalty, Repurcahse and Satisfaction: A Meta-Analytical Review. Journal of Consumer Satisfaction, Dissatisfaction and Complaining Behavior, 24. Retrieved from https://commons.erau.edu/dbmanagement/18
13. Gefen, D. (2000). E-commerce: the role of familiarity. Omega, 28, 725-737.
14. Hair, F. J., Sarstedt, M., Hopkins, L. andKuppelwieser, G V.(2014). Partial least squares structural equation modeling (PLS-SEM). European Business Review, 26(2), 106-121.
15. Hoffman, D.L., Novak, T. P. and Peralta, M. (1999). Building consumer trust online. Communications of the ACM, 42(4), 80-85.
16. Hsu, Y., andVui, N. H. (2019). The Factors Influencing Customers’ Repurchasing Intention in B2C- E-Commerce in Vietnam and Taiwan. International Journal of Business and Commerce, 7(3), 77-93
17. Karami, M., Khan, S. U. R., Saeidi, S. P., Saeidi, P andSaeidi, S. P. (2012). The effects of online shopping factors on customers repurchase intention in Malaysia. Current Trends in Technology and Science, 2(2), 211-215.
18. Kenny (2015). Measuring Model Fit. http://davidakenny.net/cm/fit.htm
19. Khalifa, M., and Liu, V. (2007). Online consumer retention: contingent effects of online shopping habit and online shopping experience. European Journal of Information Systems,16, 780–792.
20. Khan, S.A., Liang, Y., and Shahzad, S., (2015). An Empirical Study of Perceived Factors Affecting Customer Satisfaction to Re-Purchase Intention in Online Stores in China. Journal of Service Science and Management, 8, 291-305.
21. Kim, H. N and Na, K. S. (2015). Understanding Repurchase Intention in Online Fashion Shopping mall. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 8(S7), 554–562.
22. Kim, J. D., Ferrin, L. D., and Rao, R. H. (2008). Trust and Satisfaction, Two Stepping Stones for Successful E-Commerce Relationships: A Longitudinal Exploration, Information Systems Research, 20, (2), 237-257.
23. Kline, R.B. (1998). Principles and Practice of Structural Equation Modelling. New York: The Guilford Press.
24. Koufaris, M., and Hampton-Sosa., W. (2002). Customer Trust Online: Examining The Role of the Experience with the Web Site. CIS Working Paper Series-2002-05, 1-20.
25. Lee, J. (2016). Difference in Customer Satisfaction and Repurchase Intention for online and offline purchase about south Korean Cosmetics. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 9 (S1), 1-7.
26. Lee, K., and Joshi, K. (2007). An Empirical Investigation of Customer Satisfaction with Technology Mediated Service Encounters in The Context of Online Shopping. Journal of Information Technology Management, 18(2), 18-37.
27. Li, H., and Hong, J. (2013). Factors Influencing Consumers’ Online Repurchasing Behavior: A Review and Research Agenda. Scientific Research, 5,161-166.
28. Liang, L. J., Choi, H. C., andJoppe, M. (2018). Exploring the relationship between satisfaction, trust and switching intention, repurchase intention in the context of Airbnb. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 69, 41-48.
29. Liu, C., Marchewka, J. T., Lu, J.and Yu, C-S. (2005). Beyond concern – a privacy-trust-behavioral intention model of electronic commerce. Information and Management, 42(2), 289–304.
30. Moeeini, M., andFard, M.G. (2014). Review and Analysis of Factors Affecting Online Repurchase Intention. Indian Journal of Fundamental and Applied Life Sciences, 4 (S4), 1312-1321.
31. Mosavi, S.A., andGhaedi, M. (2012). Role of perceived value in explaining trust and repurchase intention in e-shopping. African Journal of Business Management, 6(14), 4910-4920.
32. Mpinganjira, M. (2014). Understanding online repurchase intentions: A Relationship Marketing Perspective. Management, Vol. 19(2), 117-135.
33. Nunkoo, R., Juwaheer, T.D., and Rambhunjun, T. (2013). Applying the Extended Technology Acceptance Model to Understand Online Purchase Behavior of Travelers. Proceedings of 21st International Business Research Conference 10 - 11 June, 2013, Ryerson University, Toronto, Canada.
34. Omotayo, F.O., andAdeyemi, R.O. (2018). Determinants of Continuance Intention to Use Online Shops in Nigeria. Journal of Internet Banking and Commerce, 23(2), 1-44.
35. Reichheld, F. F., and Schefter, P. (2000). E-loyalty: your secret weapon on the web. Harvard Business Review, 78(4), 105-113.
36. Rezaei, S., and Amin, M. (2013). Exploring online repurchase behavioural intention of university students in Malaysia. J. Global Business Advancement, 6(2), 92-119.
37. Rose, S., Clark, M., Samouel, P., and Hair, N., (2012). Online Customer Experience in e-retailing: An empirical model of Antecedents and Outcomes. Journal of Retailing, 88, 308-322.
38. Safa, N.S. andSolms, V. R. (2016). Customers repurchase intention formation in e-commerce. South African Journal of Information Management, 18(1), 1-9.
39. Su, K.W., Hsu, M.H., and Wang, J.W. (2009). Exploring the Online Shopping-The Role of Prior Experience. Proceedings of the International MultiConference of Engineers and Computer Scientists2009, Vol 1, IMECS 2009, March 18 - 20, 2009, Hong Kong.
40. Suhaily, L., andSoelasih, Y. (2017). What Effects Repurchase Intention of Online Shopping. International Business Research, 10(12), 114-122.
41. Suhaily, L., andSoelasih, Y. (2017). What Effects Repurchase Intention of Online Shopping. International Business Research, 10(12), 114-122.
42. Sullivan, Y. W., and Kim, D. J. (2018). Assessing the effects of consumers’ product evaluation and trust on repurchase intention in e-commerce environment. International Journal of Information Management, 39, 199-219.
43. Tatang M., and Mudiantono. (2017). The Impact of Website Design Quality, Service Quality, and Enjoyment on Repurchase Intention Through Satisfaction and Trust at Zalora. Diponegoro Journal of Management, 6(4), 1-11.
44. Valvi, C.A., and West, C. D, (2013). E-Loyalty Is Not All About Trust, Price Also Matters: Extending Expectation-Confirmation Theory in Bookselling Websites. Journal of Electronic Commerce Research, 14(1), 99-123.
45. Wen, C., Prybutok, V.R., and Xu, C. (2011). An integrated model for customer online repurchase intention. Faculty Research and Creative Activity, 8. Available at: https://thekeep.eiu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://www.google.co.in/andhttpsredir=1andarticle=1007andcontext=business_fac
46. Yulisetiarini, D., Subagio, A., Paramu, H. andIrawan, B. (2017). Customer repurchase intention and satisfaction in online shopping. International Business Management, 11(1), 215-221.
47. Zboja, J. and Voorhees, C. (2006). The impact of brand trust and satisfaction on retailer repurchase intentions. Journal of Services Marketing, 20(6), 381-390. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1108/08876040610691275