Assistant Prof. (Sl. Gd), Department of Management, SRM University, Sikkim, 5th Mile, Tadong, Gangtok, Sikkim, 737102.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2022
This paper explores individual capabilities underlying employee performance in the organization. The paper consists of two sections. The first section explores the concept of capability. It identifies and examines the various skills and abilities underlying individual capability. Focus is placed on generic transferable skills and cognitive process skills viewed as critical to successful implementation and application of domain and occupational specific skills and knowledge. The second section explores the role of metacognition and attitude in development of individual capabilities.
Cite this article:
Wangchuk Chungyalpa. Exploring Employee Performance. Examination and Analysis of individual capability. Asian Journal of Management. 2022;13(3):209-4. doi: 10.52711/2321-5763.2022.00037
Wangchuk Chungyalpa. Exploring Employee Performance. Examination and Analysis of individual capability. Asian Journal of Management. 2022;13(3):209-4. doi: 10.52711/2321-5763.2022.00037 Available on: https://ajmjournal.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-13-3-7
1. Albarracin, D. and Shavitt, S. (2017). Attitudes and Attitude Change. Annual Review of Psychology, 69(1), 1-29. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-psych-122216-011911
2. Barma, D., and Gupta, M. (2015). Investigating the Effectiveness of the Sources of Recruitment on Job Performance and Employee Attitude in India. Asian Journal of Management, 6(1), 67-71. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2015.00011.6
3. Bloom, B. S. (1956). Taxonomy of educational objectives. Vol. 1: Cognitive domain. New York: McKay, 20-24.
4. Boyd, B. L., Dooley, K. E., and Felton, S. (2006). Measuring learning in the affective domain using reflective writing about a virtual international agriculture experience. Journal of Agricultural Education, 47(3), 24.
5. Bransford, J. D., Cocking; R. R (2000). How People Learn: Brain, Mind, Experience, and School. Expanded Edition. National Academies Press.
6. Business Dictionary. (2019). Capability. Business Dictionary. Http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/capability.html
7. Carr, M. (2010). The importance of metacognition for conceptual change and strategy use in mathematics. In H. S. Waters and W. Schneider (Eds.), Metacognition, strategy use, and instruction (p. 176–197). Guilford Press.
8. Fariba, A. (2014). Factors Affecting the Productivity of Managers. Asian Journal of Management, 5(3), 302-305.
9. Glaveski, S. (2019, Ocrober 2). Where Companies Go Wrong with Learning and Development. HBR. https://hbr.org/2019/10/where-companies-go-wrong-with-learning-and-development
10. Gunstone, R. F., and Northfield, J. (1994). Metacognition and learning to teach. International Journal of Science Education, 16(5), 523-537.
11. Harris, R. and Clayton, B. (2018). Editorial: the importance of skills – but which skills?, International Journal of Training Research, 16:3, 195-199, DOI:10.1080/14480220.2018.1576330
12. Hartman, H. J. (Ed.). (2001). Metacognition in learning and instruction: Theory, research and practice (Vol. 19). Springer Science and Business Media.
13. Heckman, J. J., and Corbin, C. O. (2016). Capabilities and skills. Journal of human development and capabilities, 17(3), 342–359. https://doi.org/10.1080/19452829.2016.1200541
14. Hillage, J. and Pollard, E. (1998). Employability: Developing a Framework for Policy Analysis. Department for Education and Employment, London. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/225083565_Employability_Developing_a_framework_for_policy_analysis_London_DfEE
15. Institute of Public Administration Australia. (2015). Regulatory Professional Capability Guidance: Professional Standards Capability Program. https://vs286790.blob.core.windows.net/docs/Related_Documents/Regulatory%20Professional%20Capability%20Guidance%20V12015.pdf
16. Jain, S., and Khurana, N. (2017) Enhancing Employee Engagement Through Training and Development. Asian Journal of Management, 8(1), 01-06. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2017.00001.4
17. Kaushik, S., Mehta, A., Srivastava, S., and Mehendale, S. (2018). Factors Affecting Employee Satisfaction – A Methodological and Thematic Review. Asian Journal of Management, 9(1), 834-840. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2018.00132.4
18. Khatri, P., and Gupta, P. (2017). Workplace Spirituality: A Predictor of Employee Wellbeing. Asian Journal of Management, 8(2), 284-292. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2017.00044.0
19. Krathwohl, D. R. (2002). A revision of Bloom's taxonomy: An overview. Theory into practice, 41(4), 212-218.
20. Kumar, R. (2020). The Impact of Training and Development on Employees Performance and Productivity: a case study of Granules Omnichem Pvt. Ltd. Visakhapatnam. Asian Journal of Management, 1(2), 174-180. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2020.00027.X
21. Lexico. (2019). Capability. Lexico. Https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/capability
22. Madipelli, S., and Chinappa, Y. (2014). Exploring the Causes and Consequences of Poor Talent Management: Remedial Measures. Asian Journal of Management, 5(2), 188-191.
23. Martinez, M. E. (2006). What is metacognition?. Phi delta kappan, 87(9), 696-699.
24. Mayer, R. E. (2002). Rote versus meaningful learning. Theory into practice, 41(4), 226-232.
25. Merriam Webster. (2019). Capability. Merriam Webster. Https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/capability
26. Miller, M. (2005). Teaching and Learning in Affective Domain. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Http://epltt.coe.uga.edu/
27. Mitroff, I. and Denton, E. (1999), A study of spirituality in the workplace, Sloan Management Review, Vol. 40 No. 4, pp. 83–92.
28. Pintrich, P. R. (2002). The role of metacognitive knowledge in learning, teaching, and assessing. Theory into practice, 41(4), 219-225.
29. Rajput, S., Singhal, M., and Tiwari, S., K. (2016). Job Satisfaction and Employee Loyalty: A study of Academicians. Asian Journal of Management, 7(2), 105-109. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2016.00015.9
30. Sayankar,N.,V. (2015). Importance of Employee’s Attitude in an Organization. Asian Journal of Management, 6(1), 33-36. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2015.00006.2
31. Schein, E. H. (1996). Career anchors revisited: Implications for career development in the 21st century. Academy of management perspectives, 10(4), 80-88.
32. Schraw, G. (2001). Promoting general metacognitive awareness. In Metacognition in learning and instruction. Springer, Dordrecht.
33. Senge, P. (1990). The fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization. Currency Doubleday, New York, NY 10036.
34. Sharma, V., and Jain, S. (2018). Happiness at the Workplace: A Conceptual Recapitulation. Asian Journal of Management, 9(3), 1090-1095. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2018.00173.7
35. SkillScan. (2012). Three types of skills classification. Skillscan. Https://www.skillscan.com
36. Sperling, R. A., Richmond, A. S., Ramsay, C. M., and Klapp, M. (2012). The measurement and predictive ability of metacognition in middle school learners. The Journal of Educational Research, 105(1), 1-7.
37. Stephenson, J. and Yorke, M. (1998).The Concept of Capability and its Importance in Higher Education, Capability and Quality in Higher Education (pp.1-13). London, UK: Kogan Page
38. Suleman, F. (2016). Employability skills of higher education graduates: Little consensus on a much-discussed subject. Proceedings from 2nd International Conference on Higher Education Advances (pp.169-174). València, Spain
39. Veenman, M. V., Van Hout-Wolters, B. H., and Afflerbach, P. (2006). Metacognition and learning: Conceptual and methodological considerations. Metacognition and learning, 1(1), 3-14.
40. The University of Newcastle Australia. (n.d.). Capability matrix for professional staff. Newcastle Education. Https://www.newcastle.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/179681/capability-matrix-handbook.pdf
41. Wikipedia. (2019). Capability. Wikipedia. Https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capability