This study intents to discover prevalent reality of luxury brands in social media platform to identify the relevant aspects pertains to luxury consumers. During the study it was found that there is dramatic changes in luxury business landscape. The study has incorporated Qualitative study i.e., content analysis of top 5 luxury fashion brands namely Nike, Hermes, GUCCI, Adidas and Louis Vuitton as rated by BRANDWATCH INDEX- Q4 2019 FASHION INDEX across social media platform. The study has found that these luxury companies have showcased their brand philosophy and heritage which reflects the brand journey by formulating principles of storytelling and creative advertising campaign along with social media events displaying celebrities as well as virtual collections by these five luxury brands.
JEL Classification: M31, M37
Cite this article:
Hemantha Y. Retaining the Cachet of Luxury Fashion Brand’s in Social Media through Storytelling and Narratives. Asian Journal of Management. 2021; 12(2):193-0. doi: 10.52711/2321-5763.2021.00029
Hemantha Y. Retaining the Cachet of Luxury Fashion Brand’s in Social Media through Storytelling and Narratives. Asian Journal of Management. 2021; 12(2):193-0. doi: 10.52711/2321-5763.2021.00029 Available on: https://ajmjournal.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-12-2-16
1. Anne-Flore Maman Larraufie and Aurélie Kourdoughli (2014) The e-semiotics of luxury, Journal of Global Fashion Marketing, 5:3, 197-208
2. Bastien, Vincent and Kapferer, Jean-Noël (2012). The Luxury Strategy: Break the rules of marketing to build luxury brands. Philadelphia: Kogan Page
3. Bento, M., Martinez, L. M., and Martinez, L. F. (2018). Brand engagement and search for brands on social media: Comparing Generations X and Y in Portugal. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 43, 234–241
4. Brun, A., Caniato, F., Caridi, M., Castelli, C., Miragliotta, G., Ronchi, S., ... and Spina, G. (2008). Logistics and supply chain management in luxury fashion retail: Empirical investigation of Italian firms. International Journal of Production Economics, 114(2), 554-570.
5. Campbell, C., Ferraro, C., and Sands, S. (2014). Segmenting consumer reactions to social network marketing. European Journal of Marketing.
6. Collins, M., and Weiss, M. (2015). The role of provenance in luxury textile brands. International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management, 43(10-11), 1030-1050.
7. Dahlhoff, D. (2016). The Challenge for Luxury Retailers: Figuring Out Digital Opportunities. In Online Luxury Retailing: Leveraging Digital Opportunities: Research, Industry Practice, and Open Questions. Philadelphia: Wharton School, Baker Retailing Center.
8. Füller, J., Jawecki, G. and Mühlbacher, H. (2007), “Innovation creation by online basket‐ ball communities”, Journal of Business Research, Vol. 60, N o 1, pp. 60–71.
9. Hemantha (2019). Determinants of Changing Status of Luxury Industry Towards Sustainability. IOSR Journal of Business and Management, 21(11), Series I
10. Jack, L.(2009). Keep the dream alive by maintaining exclusivity, Marketing Week, 32(30), pp.14-18)
11. Kemp, M. B. (2009). Luxury brands must balance accessibility and exclusivity. New Media Age, 23, 7.
12. Kietzmann, Jan H.; Kristopher Hermkens (2011). "Social media? Get serious! Understanding the functional building blocks of social media". Business Horizons (Submitted manuscript). 54 (3), pp. 241–251
13. Kietzmann, Jan H.; Kristopher Hermkens (2011). "Social media? Get serious! Understanding the functional building blocks of social media". Business Horizons (Submitted manuscript). 54 (3), 241–251
14. Kim, A. J., and Ko, E. (2012). Do social media marketing activities enhance customer equity? An empirical study of luxury fashion brand. Journal of Business research, 65(10), 1480-1486.
15. Kontu, H., and Vecchi, A. (2014). Why all that noise–assessing the strategic value of social media for fashion brands. Journal of Global Fashion Marketing, 5(3), 235-250.
16. Langaro, D., Rita, P., and de Fátima Salgueiro, M. (2018). Do social networking sites contribute for building brands? Evaluating the impact of users' participation on brand awareness and brand attitude. Journal of Marketing Communications, 24(2), 146-168.
17. Maman Larraufie, A. F., and Kourdoughli, A. (2014). The e-semiotics of luxury. Journal of Global Fashion Marketing, 5(3), 197-208.
18. NetBase. (2 C.E. 2018). Land Rover, Louis Vuitton and Burberry Top Luxury Brands on Social Media According to New NetBase Report. Business Wire (English).
19. Ng, M. (2014). Social media and luxury fashion brands in China: the case of Coach. Journal of Global Fashion Marketing, 5(3), 251-265.
20. Okonkwo, U. (2009). Sustaining the luxury brand on the Internet. Journal of Brand Management, 16, 302-310.
21. Okonkwo, U. (2010). Luxury online: Styles, systems, strategies. Springer.
22. Pentina, I., Guilloux, V., and Micu, A. C. (2018). Exploring social media engagement behaviors in the context of luxury brands. Journal of Advertising, 47(1), 55-69.
23. Phan, M. (2011). Do Social Media Enhance Consumer’s Perception and Purchase Intentions of Luxury Fashion Brands? Vikalpa: The Journal for Decision Makers, 36(1), 81–84.
24. Phan, M., Thomas, R., and Heine, K. (2011). Social media and luxury brand management: The case of Burberry. Journal of Global Fashion Marketing, 2(4), 213-222
25. Phan, Michel, and Seong-Yeon Park. "Introduction: Social media marketing and luxury brands." (2014): 195-196.
26. Romo, Z. F. G., García-Medina, I., and Romero, N. P. (2017). Storytelling and social networking as tools for digital and mobile marketing of luxury fashion brands. International Journal of Interactive Mobile Technologies (iJIM), 11(6), 136-149.
27. Tong, X., Su, J., and Xu, Y. (2018). Brand personality and its impact on brand trust and brand commitment: an empirical study of luxury fashion brands. International journal of fashion design, technology and education, 11(2), 196-209.
29. Mckinsey (2014), https://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/marketing-and-sales/our-insights/digital-luxury-experience-keeping-up-with-changing-customers, Accessed on April 10th to 20th 2020
30. The Dapifer, https://www.thedapifer.com/what-is-couture-mean-fashion/, Accessed on Feb 12th 2020