Vyshak P K, Jayarajan T K, Vishnu P K
email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
Vyshak P K1, Jayarajan T K2, Vishnu P K3
1Research Scholar, Sree Narayana College, Kannur, Kerala, India.
2Assistant Professor, Payyanur College, Payyanur, Kannur, Kerala, India.
3Research Scholar, Sree Narayana College, Kannur, Kerala, India.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2022
The Fast-Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG), also known as Consumer-Packaged Goods (CPG), are goods that have a high shelf turnover, relatively low cost, and don't take much thought, time, or financial investment to purchase. Any product that is widely used; often moves relatively quickly and regularly. The FMCG sector is India's fourth-largest sector that affects daily life for everyone. The FMCG goods sector contributes vitally to the gross domestic products of India. The present study is an attempt to examine various factors that influence the consumers’ purchase decision of FMCG products with the sample size of 195 consumers by surveying through a structured questionnaire in the state of Kerala and analyzed using correlational analysis and factor analysis. To accomplish the objective of the study, both primary and secondary data were used. The result of the study showed that promotional factors, product factors, price factors, brand image, social influence, convenience, and information availability have a positive and significant relationship with purchase decisions. The study also reveals that the promotional factor variable has a great impact and a better level of significance compared with the other variables in influencing the decision of the consumer to buy FMCGs. Overall, the findings of the research paper provide empirical support for theories-based knowledge of the different variables influencing consumer purchase decisions, as well as experimentally testing and supporting hypothesized effects among the relationships of the aforementioned factors. As a result, it contributes significantly to a better understanding of consumer behaviour in context of purchase of FMCG.
Cite this article:
Vyshak P K, Jayarajan T K, Vishnu P K. Why Do Consumers make Purchase Decisions? Exploring Fast Moving Consumer Goods as an Emerging Market. Asian Journal of Management. 2022;13(4):351-7. doi: 10.52711/2321-5763.2022.00057
Vyshak P K, Jayarajan T K, Vishnu P K. Why Do Consumers make Purchase Decisions? Exploring Fast Moving Consumer Goods as an Emerging Market. Asian Journal of Management. 2022;13(4):351-7. doi: 10.52711/2321-5763.2022.00057 Available on: https://ajmjournal.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-13-4-12
1. Engel, J. F., Blackwell, R. D., and Miniard, P. W. (1995). Consumer Behavior (8th ed.). The Dryden Press.
2. Kotler, P., and Keller, K. (2014). Marketing Management (15th ed.). Pearson Education.
3. Gopinath, R. (2019). Factors influencing consumer decision behaviour in FMCG. International Journal of Research in Social Sciences, 9(7), 249–255.
4. Praveer, S. R., and Shrivastava, A. K. (2010). Demographic inclination towards purchase factors: A study on fashion apparels. Asian Journal of Management, 1(1), 26–29.
5. Deshmukh, G. K., and Das, R. P. (2012). Consumer buying behaviour for high involvement products - a study. Asian Journal of Management, 3, 153–157.
6. Hasan, R., and Verma, P. (2020). A study of factors influencing consumer’s behaviour towards purchasing a smart phone in Raipur city. International Journal of Advances in Social Sciences, 8(3), 87–95. https://doi.org/10.5958/2454-2679.2020.00008.0
7. Dowling, G. R. (1986). Perceived risk: The concept and its measurement. Psychology and Marketing, 3(3), 193–210. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.4220030307
8. Hsin Chang, H., and Wang, H. (2011). The moderating effect of customer perceived value on online shopping behaviour. Online Information Review, 35(3), 333–359. https://doi.org/10.1108/ 14684521111151414
9. Bai, F., and Qin, Y. (2016). The implementation of relationship marketing and CRM: how to become a customer-focused organization. Journal of Business and Economic Policy, 3(2), 112–124.
10. Sharma, R. B., and Sahni, M. M. (2017). Construing purchase of fashion through brand’s image, attitude and experience-mediating effect of brand loyalty. Asian Journal of Management, 8(4), 1136–1144. https://doi.org/10.5958/2321-5763.2017.00173.1
11. Singh, A., and Singh, P. (2018). Factors determining online purchase behaviour of the consumers in Punjab (A study of urban and rural consumers). Asian Journal of Management, 9(1), 133–139. https://doi.org/10.5958/2321-5763.2018.00020.3
12. Chowdhury, P. P. (2019). Factors affecting buyer behavior: A study on the consumers of two-wheelers (Motorcycles) of Dhaka city. Asian Journal of Management, 10(1), 33–41. https://doi.org/10.5958/2321-5763.2019.00007.6
13. Dey, T., and Sharma, L. S. (2017). A study on consumers and place of purchase for select fast moving consumer goods. Asian Journal of Management, 8(4), 1177–1190. https://doi.org/10.5958/2321-5763.2017.00179.2
14. Kalpana, R. (2017). Impact of price consciousness on household fabrics. International Journal of Logistics and Supply Chain Management Perspectives, 6(2), 2756–2761.
15. Nilsson, L., Johnson, M. D., and Gustafsson, A. (2001). The impact of quality practices on customer satisfaction and business results: Product versus service organizations. Journal of Quality Management, 6(1), 5–27. https://doi.org/10.1016/s1084-8568(01)00026-8
16. Amron, A., and Mahmud, M. (2017). Developing marketing strategy in property insurance business. International Business Management, 11(1), 177–182. https://doi.org/10.36478/ibm.2017.177.182
17. Monroe, K. B. (2002). Pricing: Making profitable decisions (Vol. 3). McGraw-Hill/Irwin.
18. Kenning, P., Hartleb, V., and Schneider, H. (2011). An empirical multi‐method investigation of price knowledge in food retailing. International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management, 39(5), 363–382. https://doi.org/10.1108/09590551111133394
19. Thanigachalam, S., and Vijayarani, K. (2014). Consumer behaviour towards fast moving consumer goods in Puducherry. Asia Pacific Journal of Research, 1(18), 130–138.
20. Deliya, M. (2012). Consumer behavior towards the new packaging of FMCG products. ABHINAV National Monthly Referred Journal of Research in Commerce and Management, 1(11), 199–211.
21. Kumaravel, K., and Vikkraman, P. (2013). A study on consumer behavior towards FMCG products with special reference to personal care products. Life Science Journal, 10(2), 1524–1530.
22. Lau, K. C., and Phau, I. (2007). Extending symbolic brands using their personality: Examining antecedents and implications towards brand image fit and brand dilution. Psychology and Marketing, 24(5), 421–444. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.20167
23. Rubio, N., Oubiña, J., and Villaseñor, N. (2014). Brand awareness–Brand quality inference and consumer’s risk perception in store brands of food products. Food Quality and Preference, 32, 289–298. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodqual. 2013.09.006
24. Diallo, M. F., Chandon, J., Cliquet, G., and Philippe, J. (2013). Factors influencing consumer behaviour towards store brands: evidence from the French market. International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management, 41(6), 422–441. https://doi.org/10.1108/09590551311330816
25. Majumdar, R. (2007). Product management in India (3rd ed.). Prentice Hall India Learning Private Limited.
26. Copeland, M. T. (1923). Relation of consumers’ buying habits to marketing methods. Harvard Business Review, 1(2), 282–289.
27. Nafde, S. A. (2017). Indian FMCG industry – The changing scenario. Indian Journal of Research, 6(4), 723–724.
28. M.Gomathi, M., and R. Gomathi, R. (2012). A Study on Consumer Preference Towards Selected Fmcg Personal Care Products In Erode Town, Tamilnadu. International Journal of Scientific Research, 2(11), 317–319. https://doi.org/10.15373/22778179/nov2013/99
29. Meera, M. R., Mahalakshmi, R., and Padmaja, R. (2017). Consumer behaviour towards fmcg products: A study with special reference to Rajapalayam. Research Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, 8(1), 69–80. https://doi.org/10.5958/2321-5828.2017.00011.0
30. Kashyap, P., and Raut, S. (2005). The rural marketing book. Dreamtech Press.
31. Vibhuti, Tyagi, A. K., and Pandey, V. (2014). A case study on consumer buying behavior towards selected FMCG products. International Journal of Scientific Research and Management, 2(8), 1168–1180.
32. Yuvarani, R. (2012). A study on rural consumer behaviour towards selected fast moving consumer goods in Salem District. International Journal of Scientific Research, 2(2), 44–45. https://doi.org/10.15373/22778179/feb2013/17
33. Shekhar, S. K., and Raveendran, P. T. (2014). The fifth ‘P’ that sells! Examining consumer behaviour towards visual and informational elements of product packages. Asian Journal Management, 5(1), 55–61.
34. Kumar, N. S. (2015). An empirical study on the influence of independent marketing variables on the purchasing decision of selected personal care products. Asian Journal of Management, 6(2), 128–134. https://doi.org/10.5958/2321-5763.2015.00019.0
35. Ota, R., Verma, S., and Agarwal, S. (2020). A study on the influence of consumer lifestyle over the buying behaviour towards FMCG products: Special reference to dabur. South Asian Journal of Marketing and Management Research, 10(9), 4. https://doi.org/10.5958/2249-877x.2020.00061.2
36. Rahman, M. N. (2020). Study of effect of advertisement on fmcg products in KSA. ACADEMICIA: An International Multidisciplinary Research Journal, 10(4), 695. https://doi.org/10.5958/2249-7137.2020.00090.7
37. Azhagan, C. T., and Sowmiyaa, E. L. (2020). Consumer attitude and rural consumer buying behavior towards FMCG products. International Journal of Advanced Research in Management and Social Sciences, 9(2), 38–45.
38. Prajapati, K., and Bhatt, V. (2019). A Study on Perception of Brand Extension by FMCG Consumer in Ahmedabad. Research Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, 10(3), 747. https://doi.org/10.5958/2321-5828.2019.00122.0
39. Khare, A., and Tripathi, B. K. (2019). A study of consumer’s perception towards FMCG advertisement. International Journal of Business Economics and Management Research, 9(4), 26–42.
40. Mohanasundaram, P. (2019). Factors influencing customers over buying FMCG: with reference to Dharmapuri town. International Journal of Research in Social Sciences, 9(3), 300–305.