The purpose of the research study is to determine the causal relationship between telecommunications service quality and customer satisfaction in Nigeria. The study surveyed 900 users’ perception based on SERVQUAL model to determine their satisfaction level regarding the services provided by telecommunication operators in Nigeria. From the multiple regression analysis, tangibility, reliability, responsiveness and empathy were positively related to customer satisfaction while assurance was not. The study revealed that reliability dimension of telecommunications service quality is the most important predictor of customer satisfaction. The telecommunications service providers are advised to pay more attention to provision of uninterrupted services, adequate network coverage, accurate billing and fast connectivity to customers to gain competitive advantage in the industry.
Cite this article:
Oladipupo Bello. A study of relationship between telecommunications service quality and customer satisfaction in the Nigerian technical and vocational education and training institutions.Asian Journal of Management. 2020;11(2):139-146. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2020.00022.0
1. Abdul-Aziz, A.R., Saeed, B.I.I., and Alexander A. (2014). Customer satisfaction of mobile telecommunication networks in Ghana: service delivery perspective. Journal of Accounting and Management, 4(1), 61-71.
2. Abdul, F.A., Salman, A., and Olotan O.O. (2014). Impact of customer satisfaction on mobile telecommunication service provider. JORIND, 12(2), 139-152.
3. Arokiasamy, A.R.A., and Abdullah, A.G. (2013). Service quality and customer satisfaction in the cellular telecommunication service provider in Malaysia. Journal of Arts, Science and Commerce, 4(2), 1-9.
4. Egena, O. (2013). Customer satisfaction in mobile telephony: An analysis of major telecommunication service providers in Nigeria. Asian Journal of Management Research, 1-11.
5. Hased, M. H., Salleh, S.B., and Gelaidan, H.M. (2012). Factors affecting customer satisfaction of mobile services in Yemen. American Journal of Economics, 2(7), 171-184.
6. Ishaq, M.I. (2011). A study on relationship between service quality and customer satisfaction: An empirical evidence from Pakistan telecommunication industry. Management Science Letters, 523-530.
7. Johnson, T., and Owen, L. (2003). Survey response rate reporting in the professional literature. Paper presented at the 58th Annual meeting of the American association for public opinion research, Nashville, 127-133.
8. Kim, M., Park, M., and Jeong, D. (2004). The effects of customer satisfaction and switching barrier on customer loyalty in Korean mobile telecommunication services. Telecommunications Policy, 28, 145–159.
9. Kotler, P., and Keller, K., (2009). Marketing Management, 13th Edition, Upper Saddle River, NJ, Prentice Hall.
10. Kushwah, S.V., and Bhargav, A. (2014). Service quality expectations and perceptions of telecom sector in India. International Journal of Advancements in Technology, 5(1), 1-10.
11. Loke S., Taiwo, A.A, Salim, H.M., and Downe, A.G. (2011). Service quality and customer satisfaction in a telecommunication service provider. Paper presented at the International Conference on Financial Management and Economics, Singapore, 24-29.
12. National Bureau of Statistics. (2019). Nigerian Telecommunications Sector. Retrieved from: https://nigerianstat.gov.ng/elibrary?queries[search]=Telecommunication%20subscribers
13. Ojo, O. (2010). The relationship between service quality and customer satisfaction. Broad Research in Accounting, Negotiation, and Distribution, 1(1), 88-100.
14. Omotayo, O., and Joachim, A.A. (2008). Customer service in the retention of mobile phone users in Nigeria. African Journal of Business Management, 2(2), 26-31.
15. Parasuraman, A., Zeithaml, V.A., and Berry, L.L. (1988). SERVQUAL: A multiple item scale for measuring consumer perceptions of service quality. Journal of Retailing, 64(1), 12-40.
16. Paulrajan, R., and Rajkumar, H. (2011). Service quality and customers preference of cellular mobile service providers. Journal of Technology Management and Innovation, 6(1), 39-45.
17. Seth, A., Momaya, K., and Gupta, H.M., (2008). Managing the customer perceived service quality for cellular mobile telephony: An empirical investigation, Vikalpa, 33(1), 19-34
18. Sharma, R.B., (2014) Customers satisfaction in telecom Sector in Saudi Arabia: An empirical investigation. European Scientific Journal, 10(13), 354-363.
19. Wang, Y., Lo, H., and Yang, Y. (2004). An integrated framework for service quality, customer value, satisfaction: Evidence from China’s telecommunication industry. Information Systems Frontiers, 6(4), 325–340.