The role of nurse is dynamic, diverse and complex thus, emphasizing the nurse to high levels of work-related stress which decisive impact general wellbeing, and organizational outcomes. Nursing stress is known to be an important predictor of turnover intention in nurses at hospitals. Although nurses experience various sources of stress across work environment, culture, and generations, little is known about the stress factors affecting turnover intention in nurses. Keeping in this view the researchers conducted an opinion survey to know the opinions of the nurses on occupational stress which directly relates to working performance and organizational effectiveness. The data are analyzed, findings are drawn and suggestions are presented in the article.
Cite this article:
G. Mallika, V. Tulasi Das. Impact of Stress on working performance of Nurses and Organizational effectiveness in Hospitals. Asian Journal of Management. 2020;11(3):225-232. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2020.00035.9
1. Abbasi, Milad, Somayeh Farhang, Madvari, Mehri, Ahmad, Ebrahimi, Poursadeghiyan, M; Marioryad, Ghaljahi (2019) “Interactive Effect of Background Variables and Workload Parameters on the Quality of Life among Nurses Working in Highly Complex Hospital Units: A Cross- Sectional Study” , “Journal Of Clinical And Diagnostic Research” , Volume: 13, Issue: 1, Pages: LC8-LC13.
2. Adelaide M.A. Ofei∗, Yennuten Paarima, Theresa Barnes, Atswei A. Kwashie (2020), “Stress and coping strategies among nurse managers”, “Journal of Nursing Education and Practice”, Volume: 10, issue: 2.
3. Beatrice J. Kalisch R N, Hyunhwa Lee R N and Monica Rochman (2010), “Nursing staff teamwork and job satisfaction” “Journal of Nursing Management”, Volume 18, page no: 938–947.
4. Colligan, Thomas W; Colligan MSW; Higgins M. (2006). "Workplace Stress –Etiology and Consequences" (PDF), Journal of Workplace Behavioral Health. 21 (2): 89–97. doi:10.1300/J490v21n02_07. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-10-13.
5. Elizabeth George, Zakkariya K.A(2015), “The Relationship between Demographic Variables and Job- Related Stress among Bank Employees”, Asian Journal of Management, 6(3): July-Sept, page 169-175.
6. Karpagavalli Nageswaran, Sundari Apte (2020), “Assess the Psychological well-being among Nurses”, Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research, 8(1):82-84.
7. Maneet Kaur, Satinderbir Kaur, Aditya Chauhan (2017), “A Study on Stress among Graduate College Students in Ludhiana”, Asian J. Management, 8(3):628-634.
8. Meena P (2016), “Nurse to Nurse Hostility: A Cause of Concern”, Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research 4(1): Jan.-Mar, Page 24-26.
9. Monika Agarwal (2017) System Dynamics Modelling of the Influence of Stress on Job Performance at Workplace”, Asian Journal of Management; 8(3):827-833.
10. Pooja Dasgupta, Khushbu Dubey (2015), “Factors Affecting Stress Level of Married Working Women in Dual Income Family”, Asian Journal of Management, 6(4): Oct. –Dec, page 265-275.
11. Preetham.Sridar S, Vijila Kennedy (2012), “Harassment in the Workplace and its Effects on Women Nurses”, Asian Journal of Management, volume 3, issue 3, July-Sept, page 119-122.
12. Radha P (2011), “Stress Management”, Asian Journal of Management, volume 2, issue 4, Oct.-Dec, page 202-203.
13. Rehin K. R, P. T. Raveendran (2014), “Role of Empathy in Ensuring Patient Satisfaction at Government Hospitals in Kerala: An Investigation”, Asian Journal of Management, 5(1): January–March, page 45-48.
14. Siva Prasad K.I., P. T. Raveendran (2019), Work-life Balance among female Nursing employees in Academy of Medical science with special reference to North Kerala”, Asian Journal of Management, 10(1): 29-32
15. Tanaya Nayak, Chandan Kumar Sahoo, Pravat Kumar Mohanty (2018), “Workplace empowerment, quality of work life and employee commitment: A study on Indian healthcare sector”, “Journal of Asia Business Studies”.
16. Xiaoyu Li Yaqing Zhang Dexiu Yan Fule Wen Yuanyuan Zhang (2020), “Nurses' intention to stay: The impact of perceived organizational support, job control and job satisfaction”, “Leading Global Nursing Research”, Volume: 11, Issue: 28, https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.14305.