Anil Kumar Gope, Wasif Ali
firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
Anil Kumar Gope1, Wasif Ali2
1Assistant Professor, Department of Commerce, Jai Prakash University, Chapra, Bihar. Assistant Professor, Department of Applied Economics, Faculty of Commerce,
2Shri Jai Narain Misra Post Graduate College, Lucknow - 226001.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2023
The study is intended to explore the antecedents and consequences of quality of work life across the organizations and sectors. The existing work falls in the category of exploratory research based on systematic literature review. Relevant highly cited literature has been downloaded and reviewed from popular data bases such as Emerald Insight, Elsevier’s Science Direct, Google Scholar, Scopus, Taylor and Francis, Inderscience Publishers, and Web of Science etc. The qualitative method of analysis was adopted for interpreting the works with critical thinking. The critical antecedents and consequences of QWL are explained with the help of systematic literature review. The study revealed eight QWL antecedents namely Adequate and Fair Compensation, Safe and Healthy Working Conditions, Opportunity to Develop Human Capacities, Opportunity for Career Growth and Security, Social Integration at Work Place, Constitutionalism at Work Organization, Work and Total Life Space, Social Relevance of Work Life. Further, the study also found that better QWL practices are positively associated with Job Satisfaction Organizational Commitment, Employee Performance, Employee Engagement, Reduced Turnover Intension, Decreased Absenteeism, Reduces Grievances, Increased Productivity, Employee Well-Being, Career Balance and Satisfaction. The article addresses the paucity of structured literature on the antecedents and consequences of QWL and presents an in-depth comprehensive review and offers a proposed conceptual framework for future research endeavours.
Cite this article:
Anil Kumar Gope, Wasif Ali. Antecedents and Consequences of Quality of Work Life: An In-depth Review for Future Research Agenda. Asian Journal of Management.2023;14(1):45-1. doi: 10.52711/2321-5763.2023.00008
Anil Kumar Gope, Wasif Ali. Antecedents and Consequences of Quality of Work Life: An In-depth Review for Future Research Agenda. Asian Journal of Management.2023;14(1):45-1. doi: 10.52711/2321-5763.2023.00008 Available on: https://ajmjournal.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-14-1-8
1. Adikoeswanto, D., Eliyana, A., Sariwulan, T., DharmawanBuchdadi, A., andFirda, F. (2020). Quality of Work Life’s Factors and Their Impacts on Organizational Commitments. Systematic Reviews in Pharmacy, 11(7), 450-461.
2. Ali M. Mosadeghrad (2013). Quality of Working Life: An Antecedent to Employee Turnover Intention. International Journal of Health Policy and Management, 1(1), 43-50.
3. Aruldoss, A., Kowalski K.B. and Parayitam, S. (2020). The relationship between quality of work life and work life balance mediating role of job stress, job satisfaction and job commitment: evidence from India. Journal of Advances in Management Research, https://www.emerald.com/insight/0972-7981.htm.
4. Baba, V.V. and Jamal, M. (1991). Reutilization of job context and job content as related employees Quality of working life: a study of psychiatric nurses, Journal of organizational behavior, 12. 379- 386.
5. Balanagalakshmi, B., and Lakshmi, T. C. (2020). Quality of work life and job satisfaction of employees during covid19 with reference to colleges in Andhra Pradesh. PalArch's Journal of Archaeology of Egypt/Egyptology, 17(7), 7997-8008.
6. Bhatia, S. K. and G. K. Valencia (1981). A Review of Research Findings on Absenteeism, Indian Journal of Industrial Relations, 17(2), 12-34.
7. Boisvert, M.P. (1977). The quality of working life: An analysis. Human Relation, 30 (II), 155-160.
8. Carlson. C. (1978). General Motor’s Quality of work life efforts, 55(4):11-23.
9. Che Rose, R; Beh L.S, Uli, J, Idris K. (2006), An Analysis of Quality of Work Life (QWL) and Career- Related Variables, American Journal of Applied Sciences 3 (12):2151-2159
10. Cole, D. C., Robson, L. S., Lemieux-Charles, L., McGuire, W., Sicotte, C., and Champagne, F. (2005). Quality of working life indicators in Canadian health care organizations: a tool for healthy, health care workplaces? Occupational medicine, 55(1), 54-59.
11. Das, S. C. andGope, A.K (2013). Employees' Perception on Quality of Work life (GMV) in Sugar Mills of UP: A Comparative Study Based on Working Environment Factor. Pacific Business Review International, 6(4), 76-84.
12. Don, R. (1981). quality of work Life movement Employee Relation , 2-6.
13. Donalson, S. (2000). Health Behavior: Quality of Work Life and Organizational Effectiveness in the Lunbe Industry. Sage Publication 122–130
14. Ebrahim et. Al (2010). The Relationship Between Quality of Work Life and Job Performance. Middle-East Journal of Scientific Research, 6(4), 317-323.
15. Efraty, D., Sirgy M.J., and Claiborne, C.B. (1991). The effects of personal alienation on organizational identification: a quality-of-work life model. Journal of Business Psychology, 6 (Fall), 57–78
16. Farid, H., et al. (2014). Relationship between quality of work life and organizational commitment among lecturers in a Malaysian public research university. The Social Science Journal, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.soscij.2014.09.003
17. Ganguli, O. N. and Joseph, J.S. (1976). Quality of working life: work prospects and aspiration of young workers in Air India, Central labor institute: Bombay.
18. Ghosh, S. and Karla, S.K. (1982). Perceptual Differences in Quality of Work Life Factors. Indian Journal of Training and Development, 12 (374), 10-12
19. Goodman, P. (1980). Quality of Work life projects in 1980’ spring meeting. Industrial relation Research Association, 487-494.
20. Haque, A.B.M.Z. (1992). Quality of Working Life and Job Satisfaction of Industrial workers in relation to size of organization, Bangladesh Journal of Psychological Studies, 2 (1), 43-55.
21. Haque, A.B.M.Z. (1992). Quality of Working Life and Job Satisfaction of Industrial workers in relation to size of organization, Bangladesh. Journal of Psychological Studies, 2 (1), 43-55.
22. Hossain Md. Mosharraf and Islam Md. Tariqual (1999). Quality of Working Life and Job Satisfaction of Conventional Hospital Nurses in Bangladesh, Indian Journal of Industrial Relatios, 34 (3).
23. Huang, T.C., Lawler, J.J., and Lei, C. (2007). The effects of quality of work life on commitment and turnover intention. Social Behaviour and Personality, 35, 735-750.
24. Igbaria, M., andGreenhaus, J. H. (1992). Determinants of MIS employees' turnover intentions: A structural equation model. Communications of the ACM, 35 (2), 34-51.
25. Jahanbani, E., Mohammadi, M., NooriNoruzi, N., andBahrami, F. (2018). Quality of work life and job satisfaction among employees of health centers in Ahvaz, Iran. Jundishapur Journal of Health Sciences, 10(1) 5-17.
26. Jain, Sangeeta (1991). Quality of Work Life, Deep and Deep Publication.
27. Jayaram, Ashwini and Anand, D. (2014). Correlation of QWL Factors with Employee Satisfaction in Manufacturing Sector. IOSR Journal of Business and Management 16(6), 01-09 www.iosrjournals.org
28. Joseph, J.S. (1978). Quality of working life (QWL) and job attitudes of Indian Craft men, Bombay psychologists, 11 (1), 28-34.
29. Koonmee, K, Singhapakdi, A., VirakulB, and Dong-JinLee (2010). Ethics institutionalization, quality of work life, and employee job-related outcomes: A survey of human resource managers in Thailand. Journal of Business Research 63, 20-26
30. Lau, R.S.M. (2000) Quality of Work Life and Performance—An Ad Hoc Investigation of Two Key Elements in the Service Profit Chain Model. International Journal of Service Industry Management, 11, 422-437.
31. Mutiara R. P, Prihatin L., and Yeni Absah (2020). The Effect of Quality of Work Life and Work Engagement to Employee Performance with Job Satisfaction as an Intervening Variable in PT. Mopoly Raya Medan. International Journal of Research and Review, 7(2), 72-78
32. Nadler, D.A. and Lawler E.E. (1983). ‘Quality of Work Life, Perspective and Direction’, Organizational Dynamics, winter, 11 (3).20-30.
33. Naghibi, E., Torabipour, A., Khiavi, F. F., andCheragian, B. (2017). Association between Quality of Work Life (Qwl) and Performance of Employees in Community Health Centers and Selected Hospitals of Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, 2016. Indo American Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 4(10), 3830-3837
34. Ni Putu Ratna Sari, I KomangGdeBendesaand Made Antara (2019). The Influence of Quality of Work Life on Employees’ Performance with Job Satisfaction and Work Motivation as Intervening Variables in Star-Rated Hotels in Ubud Tourism Area of Bali. Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Management June 7 (1), 74-83
35. Normala, D., (2010). “Investigating the Relationship between Quality of Work Life and Organizational Commitment among Employees in Malaysian Firms, ” International Journal of Business and Management, 5(10), 75-82
36. Phusavat, K., Anussornnitisarn, P., Rassameethes, B. and Kess, P. (2009) ‘Productivity improvement: impacts from Quality of Work Life’, International Journal of Management and Enterprise Development, 6(4), 465–478.
37. Ramawickrama, j., Opatha, H.H.D.N.P., and Pushpakumari, M.D. (2018), Quality of Work Life and Job Performance: Empirical Evidence from Station Masters Working at Sri Lanka Railways, Sri Lankan Journal of Human Resource Management, 8(1), 1- 22.
38. Robert, H. Guest. (1979). Quality of work life- Learning from Tarrytown, Harvard Business Review, 28-39.
39. Sahni, J. (2019). Role of quality of work life in determining employee engagement and Satisfaction and Commitment of the Employees. The Management Journal of Binaniaga, 1(01), 9-18
40. Saleem, R. (2017). Influence of quality of work life on organizational commitment among private school male-female teachers. Asia Pacific Journal of Research, I (LIII), 101-108.
41. Sayeed, O.B. and Sinha, P. (1981). QWL in relation to Job Satisfaction and performance in two organizations, Managerial Psychology, 2(1), 15-30.
42. SelahattinKanten and Omer Sadullah, (2012). An Empirical Research on Relationship Quality of Work Life and Work Engagement. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 62, 360-366.
43. Sharma, R.D. and Jeevan Jyoti (2013). Impact of Quality of Work Life on Job Related Attitudes: Structural Modeling Approach. Metamorphosis 12 (2), 20-34
44. Srivastava et al., (2019). The Saviors Are Also Humans’: Understanding the Role of Quality of Work Life on Job Burnout and Job Satisfaction Relationship of Indian Doctors. Journal of Health Management, 21(2), 1-20.
45. Straw, R.J. and C.C. Heckscher, (1984). QWL: New working relationships in the communication industry. Labor Studies J. (9), 261-274.
46. Tabassum, A. (2012). Interrelations between quality of work life dimensions and faculty member job satisfaction in the Private Universities of Bangladesh. European Journal of Business and Management, 4(2), 78-89.
47. Taher, A. (2013), "Variations of quality of work life of academic professionals in Bangladesh: A discriminant analysis", European Journal of Training and Development, 37(6) 580-595.
48. Walton, R. E. (1974). QWL indicators: Prospects and problems’, In a Portigal (ed.), Measuring the quality of working life, 57-70
49. Walton, R.E. (1973). ‘Quality of Working Life: What Is It?’ Sloan Management Review, 15(1):11-21