Aim: The objective of this study is to observe the effect of Covid-19 on Mental health of employees and its impact on the work culture in organizations. Research Question: ? To examine the effects of Covid-19 on Mental Health of workers. ? To evaluate impact of mental health on organizational Work Culture. Research Design: This paper is based on Literature review of previous researches done on the topic and based on it findings have been drawn out to evaluate answers for research question. A manual search was done on Pub Med, Google Scholar, Scopus to find pertinent studies. Based on the stated qualifying requirements, articles were chosen. Findings: It was concluded that there is a significant impact of Covid-19 on Mental Health of Employees. Employees faced mild to severe symptoms of depression, anxiety and distress due to prolonged working hours, change in work dynamics, isolation etc. The impact was majorly seen on employees working in healthcare sector. The impact of Mental Health of employees also affected the work culture in organizations to some extent. There was a seen a shift in work culture dynamics due to work from home and virtual mode of communication during Covid-19 pandemic. Research Limitations: Limited number of Literature was reviewed in order to conduct this study. Further for more accuracy particular industry or geographical locations should have been taken into consideration. Practical Implication: The study sheds light on how how covid-19 has affected employees working in different industry and locations and how the impact of their mental health has changed the work culture of organization. Originality: This paper shows how mental health of employees has impacted the work culture of organizations and the effects of Covid-19 on mental well-being of employees.
Cite this article:
Rajeshwari Narendran, Mehvash Baluch. A Literature Review on effects of Covid-19 on Mental Health of Employees and its impact on Organizational Work Culture. Asian Journal of Management. 2023;14(2):133-6. doi: 10.52711/2321-5763.2023.00021
Rajeshwari Narendran, Mehvash Baluch. A Literature Review on effects of Covid-19 on Mental Health of Employees and its impact on Organizational Work Culture. Asian Journal of Management. 2023;14(2):133-6. doi: 10.52711/2321-5763.2023.00021 Available on: https://ajmjournal.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-14-2-6
1. Al Dhaheri, A. S., Bataineh, M. F., Mohamad, M. N., Ajab, A., Al Marzouqi, A., Jarrar, A. H., Habib-Mourad, C., Abu Jamous, D. O., Ali, H. I., Al Sabbah, H., Hasan, H., Stojanovska, L., Hashim, M., Abd Elhameed, O. A., Shaker Obaid, R. R., ElFeky, S., Saleh, S. T., Osaili, T. M., and Cheikh Ismail, L. (2021). Impact of COVID-19 on mental health and quality of life: Is there any effect? A cross-sectional study of the MENA region. PloS one, 16(3), e0249107. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0249107.
2. AudityaPurwandiniSutarto, Shanti Wardaningsih, WikaHarisa Putri. (2021), "Work from home: Indonesian employees' mental well-being and productivity during the COVID-19 pandemic", International Journal of Workplace Health Management. https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/IJWHM-08-2020-0152/full/html.
3. Drapeau, Aline and Marchand, Alain and Beaulieu-Prévost, Dominic. (2012). Epidemiology of Psychological Distress. 10.5772/30872.
4. Di Renzo, L., Gualtieri, P., Pivari, F., Soldati, L., Attinà, A., Cinelli, G., Leggeri, C., Caparello, G., Barrea, L., Scerbo, F., Esposito, E., and De Lorenzo, A. (2020). Eating habits and lifestyle changes during COVID-19 lockdown: an Italian survey. Journal of translational medicine, 18(1), 229. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12967-020-02399-5.
5. Giorgi, G., Lecca, L. I., Alessio, F., Finstad, G. L., Bondanini, G., Lulli, L. G., Arcangeli, G., and Mucci, N. (2020). COVID-19-Related Mental Health Effects in the Workplace: A Narrative Review. International journal of environmental research and public health, 17(21), 7857. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17217857.
6. Hosseinzadeh-Shanjani, Z., Hajimiri, K., Rostami, B., Ramazani, S., andamp; Dadashi, M. (2020). Stress, Anxiety, and Depression Levels Among Healthcare Staff During the COVID-19 Epidemic. Basic and Clinical Neuroscience, 11(2), 163.
7. Pieh C, Budimir S, Probst T. The effect of age, gender, income, work, and physical activity on mental health during coronavirus disease (COVID-19) lockdown in Austria. J Psychosomatic Res. (2020) 136:110186. 10.1016/j.jpsychores.2020.110186.
8. T Rajgopal, (2010), Mental well-being at the workplace, Indian Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine.
9. Tavares, A. I. (2017). Telework and health effects review. International Journal of Healthcare, 3(2), 30. https://doi.org/10.5430/ijh.v3n2p30
10. W Cullen, G Gulati, B D Kelly, Mental health in the COVID-19 pandemic, QJM: An International Journal of Medicine, Volume 113, Issue 5, May 2020, Pages 311–312, https://doi.org/10.1093/qjmed/hcaa110