Air pollution is the dissemination of toxic chemicals and compounds in the air, detrimental to the human well-being and the ecology. Though the general perception is that pollution is proportionate to human activities but we largely overlook the natural resources such as fossil fuels combustion. Oblivious of our own actions, Artificial Intelligence (AI) has become a decisive enabler to better administer the impact of climate change and protect the environment. The term was coined in 1956 by John McCarthy and is now an adept field in terms of providing efficiency and control over all prevalent things. This paper focuses on the air quality in the Indian demographic perimeter and how AI tools have been a key moderator of the same. An extensive study on a case study has also been carried further in the direction. The data used in our study has come from kaggle, aiq.in and Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB). Further discussion and case study reasoning has been spotlighted to minimizing air pollutants by appropriate tools, maintenance methods, limiting the scope of pollutant sources and machine learning.
Cite this article:
Aayush K., Vishal D., Hammad N., Manu K. S. Application of Artificial Intelligence in Curbing Air Pollution: The Case of India. Asian Journal of Management. 2020;11(3):285-290. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2020.00044.X
1. Bradley, M. (2019, June 5). #BeatAirPollution - How AI and IoT could help people combat air pollution issues. Retrieved from https://www.capgemini.com/2019/06/beatairpollution-how-ai-and-iot-could-help-people-combat-air-pollution-issues/
2. Chau, K. (2006, August 1). A review on integration of artificial intelligence into water quality modeling. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/7018270_A_review_on_integration_of_artificial_intelligence_into_water_quality_modelling
3. Chan, C., and Huang, G. (2003, March 1). Artificial intelligence for management and control of pollution minimization and mitigation processes. Retrieved from https:// www.researchgate.net/publication/222670520_Artificial_intelligence_for_management_and_control_of_pollution_minimization_and_mitigation_processes
4. Hannah Ritchie and Max Roser (2020) - "Air Pollution". Published online at OurWorldInData.org. Retrieved from: 'https:// ourworldindata.org/air-pollution'
5. Mckay, Rich. (2018). Can AI help reduce Beijing’s smog? Retrieved from https://www.ibm.com/blogs/industries/can-ai-help-reduce-beijings-smog/
6. Marr, Bernard. (2018, February). The Amazing Ways We Can Use AI to Tackle Climate Change. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernardmarr/2018/02/21/the-amazing-ways-we-can-use-ai-to-tackle-climate-change/#7e6b5be54a35
7. Microsoft (2019, August 20). A fresher breeze: How AI can help improve air quality. Retrieved from https://news.microsoft.com/ europe/2019/08/20/a-fresher-breeze-how-ai-can-help-improve-air-quality/
8. Oprea, M., and Iliadis, L. (2011). An Artificial Intelligence-Based Environment Quality Analysis System. Engineering Applications of Neural Networks, 499-508. doi:10.1007/978-3-642-23957-1_55
9. Poon, Linda. (2015, September). Beijing's Newest Weapon Against Smog: A Supercomputer. Retrieved from https:// www.citylab.com/life/2015/09/beijings-newest-weapon-against-smog-a-supercomputer/403306/
10. Rawat, Shubhankar. (2019, June). India Air Quality Data Analysis. Retrieved from https://towardsdatascience.com/india-air-pollution-data-analysis-bd7dbfe93841
11. Srivastava, Chavi and Singh, Shyamli and Singh, Amit. (2018). Estimation of Air Pollution in Delhi Using Machine Learning Techniques. 304-309. 10.1109/GUCON.2018.8675022.
12. Supriya, R. (2018, October 31). Delhi Air Pollution: Artificial Intelligence and IoT Can Play the Savior’s Role. Retrieved from https://www.dqindia.com/delhi-air-pollution-artificial-intelligence-iot-can-play-saviors-role/
13. Snow, J. (2018, July 18). How artificial intelligence can tackle climate change. Retrieved from https:// www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2019/07/artificial-intelligence-climate-change/
14. Varun, P. (2019, November). India air pollution at 'unbearable levels', Delhi minister says. BBC. Retrieved from https:// www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-50280390
15. Ye, Z., Yang, J., Zhong, N., Tu, X., Jia, J., and Wang, J. (2020). Tackling environmental challenges in pollution controls using artificial intelligence: A review. Science of The Total Environment, 699, 134279. doi:10..016/j.scitotenv.2019.134279
16. Yetilmezsoy, K., Ozkaya, B., and Cakmakci, M. (2011). Artificial intelligence-based prediction models for environmental engineering. Neural Network World, 21(3), 193.