Atul Kumar, Amol Gawande, Vinaydeep Brar
Atul Kumar1, Amol Gawande2, Vinaydeep Brar3
1Professor, Dr. D. Y. Patil B-School, Pune, India.
2Director, Dr. D. Y. Patil B-School, Pune, India.
3Professor, S.N.G. Institute of Management and Research, Pune, India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2023
Digitalization has penetrated all businesses, and retail is not an exception. The digital disruption has caused significant changes in which businesses were done. An important aspect of digitalization is that it has provided a competitive edge to business organizations. Retailers more digitally equipped are ahead in their business segment than those still stuck with the traditional brick-and-mortar structure. This paper evaluates the digital edge that retailers have leveraged to gain market share and stay ahead of their competitors. One hundred ten medium-sized retailers from Bengaluru were surveyed, and their view on the competitive edge of digitization to their business was ascertained. Findings suggest that retailers who have adopted digitalization have gained a significant competitive edge over others who have failed to do so or have been slow in adopting digitalization. The message for retailers is thus quite clear – stay digital and stay ahead in the competition.
Cite this article:
Atul Kumar, Amol Gawande, Vinaydeep Brar. Digitalization in the Retail Business: A Strategy to gain a Competitive Edge. Asian Journal of Management. 2023;14(2):129-2. doi: 10.52711/2321-5763.2023.00020
Atul Kumar, Amol Gawande, Vinaydeep Brar. Digitalization in the Retail Business: A Strategy to gain a Competitive Edge. Asian Journal of Management. 2023;14(2):129-2. doi: 10.52711/2321-5763.2023.00020 Available on: https://ajmjournal.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-14-2-5
1. A. S. Suresh. A Study of Factors influencing buying Behaviour of utilitarian and Hedonic Shoppers: Evidence from FMCG, Sports, Jewelry, Books and apparels retail formats. Asian Journal of Management. 2018 9(1): 507-515. DOI: 10.5958/2321-5763.2018.00079.3
2. Atul Pandey, Sachin Bhardwaj, Sanjay Mishra. An empirical study of organized retailers and their impact on consumer’s buying behavior. Asian J. Management. 2014 5(2): 121-124.
3. Binod Kumar Sinha. Shopping Mall and Retail 2011 in India: A Researchers’ Perspectives. Asian J. Management. 2011 2(2): 67-70.
4. Vinaydeep Brar, Atul Kumar. Customer satisfaction towards the services rendered by superstore retailers. International Journal of Science, Technology and Management. 2017 6(7): 111-117. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.6686014
5. Dimpy Sachar, Harshmeet Kaur. Impact of Digitalization in an Organization and its importance in Knowledge and Value Management System. Asian J. Management; 2017; 8(1):37-48. DOI:10.5958/2321-5763.2017.00007.5
6. Fuentes, C., Bäckström, K., Svingstedt, A. Smartphones and the reconfiguration of retail scapes: Stores, shopping, and digitalization. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services. 2017 39:270-278.
7. Galera‐Zarco, C., Opazo‐Basáez, M., Marić, J., García‐Feijoo, M. Digitalization and the inception of concentric strategic alliances: A case study in the retailing sector. Strategic Change. 2020 29(2):165-177.
8. Hänninen, M., Smedlund, A., Mitronen, L. Digitalization in retailing: multi-sided platforms as drivers of industry transformation. Baltic Journal of Management. 2018 13(2): 152-168.
9. Krasyuk, I., Medvedeva, Y., Baharev, V. and Chargaziya, G. Evolution of strategies of retail and technological systems under broad digitalization conditions. In I.O.P. Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering. 2019 497(1):121-24.
10. Atul Kumar, Vinaydeep Brar. Measurement of the demographic inclination towards store image. Vishwakarma Business Review, 2012 2(2):88-93. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.6686332
11. Atul Kumar. The changing buying behaviour & customer satisfaction in organized retail sector of Pune city (Master Level). 2011. The Global Open University. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.6708878
12. Atul Kumar. Demographic & geographic inclination towards store design: A study of shopping mall customers in Maharashtra-State, India. Asian Journal of Management. 2011 2(3):87-93. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.6705851
13. Atul Kumar. Ascendancy of store image on customer behaviour: An empirical analysis. In Proceedings of international conference on Recent Trends in Business, Management and I.T. 2011 (pp. 240-246). Pune; Poona College of Art, Science & Commerce. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.6610783
14. Atul Kumar. The changing buying behaviour of customers in organized retail sector of Pune city. International Journal of Research in Social Sciences. 2012 2(1):242-263. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.6705224
15. Atul Kumar. Store image - A critical success factor in dynamic retailing environment: An investigation. Asian Journal of Management. 2012 3(1):01-05. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.6686431
16. Atul Kumar. Retailing strategy of products and customer services in organized retail sector (Ph.D.). 2016. Shri Jagdishprasad Jhabarmal Tibrewala University. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.6709950
17. Atul Kumar. Customer behavior in online shopping (Registered Copyright No. L-104502/2021). 2012. Copyright Office, Department for Promotion of Industry & Internal Trade Ministry of Commerce and Industry, India.
18. Atul Kumar, Vinaydeep Brar. The sales promotion: A study of its influences on customer purchase intention with regards to organized retail services. Pillai's Journal of Management & Research, 2011 2(October):2-13. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.6705998
19. Atul Kumar, Vinaydeep Brar. Retailing Strategy: Products & Customer Services Perspective. LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing, Germany. 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.6662847
20. Atul Kumar, Vinaydeep Brar, SG Walke. Retail Management. Success Publications, Pune. 2019. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.6662972
21. Atul Kumar, J Joshi, Vinaydeep Brar. Impact of sales promotion on customer purchase intention with respect to organized retail industry. International Journal for Research in Engineering Application & Management. 2019 5(2), 905-913. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.6671797
22. Nidhi Jhawar, Vivek S. Kushwaha. Visual Merchandising and Impulse Buying Behavior with special reference to Retail Industry. Asian J. Management. 2017 8(4):1168-1172. DOI:10.5958/2321-5763.2017.00177.9
23. Pranab K Bhattacharya. Booming Retail Sector: Destination India. Asian J. Management. 2010 1(1):14-21.
24. Reinartz, W., Imschlob, M. From point of sale to point of need: How digital technology is transforming retailing. NIM Marketing Intelligence Review. 2017 9(1):42-47.
25. Shobhit Bajpayee, Swati Tiwari. Recent Trend of Retail Business in Chhattisgarh: With special reference to Bilaspur, Chhattisgarh. Asian J. Management. 2014 5(2):261-264.
26. Shubhakar Gootam, K. Sanjay Kumar. Indian Retail Sector- Recent Trends, Changes and Challenges. Asian J. Management. 2014 5(2):133-139.
27. Thummala. Sudheer, Bodduluri. Sudhir. Consumer Attitude towards E-tailing: An emperical study on Rural and Urban Areas. Asian Journal of Management. 2018 9(1):17-22. DOI:10.5958/2321-5763.2018.00004.5.