Customer buying habits have got influenced and evolved with the technology adoption and proliferation in industries, specifically in retail. It is also visible in petro retailing in the Indian context. A sizable number of fraud incidents to customers has also been reported in the past few years. While some technology adaptation has happened in petro retailing, there seems to be some gap towards addressing the frauds leading to customer dissatisfaction and dent in the brand image of the service providers and the industry. This study was carried out to implement an "Integrated Payment mechanism" to ensure exact payment by the customer against their fuelling. Feedback from the customers has also been recorded using a quantitative questionnaire. Survey samples were collected using the convenience sampling method. The study indicated that a technology-led "Integrated payment mechanism" helps enhance the efficiency of the fuelling cycle and reduce frauds by enabling acceptance of multimode of payment and confirmation of "proof of service" through SMS. The solution helped in the reduction of customer grievances, thus enhanced customer satisfaction. The study's outcome helped design the service landscape by bridging the service gaps through a technology-led approach.
Cite this article:
Santanu Purohit. Integrated Payment: Eliminating deceits and enhancement of customer satisfaction in Petro Retailing. Asian Journal of Management. 2022;13(1):27-4. doi: 10.52711/2321-5763.2022.00006
Santanu Purohit. Integrated Payment: Eliminating deceits and enhancement of customer satisfaction in Petro Retailing. Asian Journal of Management. 2022;13(1):27-4. doi: 10.52711/2321-5763.2022.00006 Available on: https://ajmjournal.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-13-1-6
1. Global Energy Statistical yearbook 2019, Enerdata
2. Purohit, S., Jain, A.K. (2020), Evolution of Fuel Retail in India Vis –a- vis India Customer: Shift in Consumer Behaviour, International Journal of Management (IJM), Volume 11, Issue 8, August 2020, ISSN 0976- 6510, pp. 199-207.
3. Purohit, S., Jain, A.K., (2020), Changing Face of Digitization in Indian Petro- Retail: From Enterprise to Customer, International Journal of Multidisciplinary Education Research, Volume 9, Issue 9(6), September 2020, ISSN: 2277-7881, pp. 121-129
4. HCM Sales, Marketing and Alliance Excellence Essentials, 2017
5. Purohit S, Jain AK (2020) Technological transition from analog to internet of things (IoT) on Indian petro-retail's customer service. Indian Journal of Science and Technology 13(42): 4364-4368. https://doi.org/10.17485/IJST/v13i42.1964
6. Gillian, M., Laurent M., Eoghan, N., (2014) Consumer Moments of Truth in the digital context: how 'search' and 'e-word of mouth' can fuel consumer decision making, Journal of Advertising Research. Vol. 54, June 2014
7. Pete, B., (2019) Chasing the data storm: Vehicle information can open opportunities in retail and safety— if drivers are willing to share it, Automotive News. 6/3/2019, Vol. 93 Issue 6884, pS007-S007
8. Sindhu J, Renee Namratha. Impact of Artificial Intelligence in chosen Indian Commercial Bank –A Cost Benefit Analysis. Asian Journal of Management. 2019; 10(4):377-384. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2019.00057.X
9. Rashmi R., Nirmal Raj VK. A Study on the Implementation and the Impact of Artificial Intelligence in Banking Processes. Asian Journal of Management. 2021; 12(1):47-54. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2021.00008.1
10. Dr. Vinod N Sambrani, Jayadatta S. A theoretical study on influence of technology in digitizing economy with special emphasis on study on digital wallets and digital payments in present context. Asian Journal of Management. 2020; 11(1):61-72. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2020.00011.6
11. Ojinga G. Omiunu, Funmilola O. Omotayo, Folake A. Longe. Adoption and use of Information and Communication Technologies for Intellectual capital Management among small and medium scale Enterprises in Ibadan, Nigeria. Asian Journal of Management. 2021; 12(1):6-14. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2021.00002.0
12. Neeti Gupta. The Effect of Technology Acceptance on Online Customers' Repurchase Intention. Asian Journal of Management. 2020;11(3):343-348. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2020.00054.2
13. Manpreet Singh, Daljeet Kaur. A Study of Customer Perception towards Online Food Delivery with respect to Age and Gender. Asian Journal of Management. 2020;11(3):334-338. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2020.00052.9
14. Neeti Gupta. Digital Marketing: Trends, Opportunities, and Challenges. Asian Journal of Management. 2020;11(4):434-440. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2020.00066.9
15. Hitesh Choudhary. Creativity in Advertising: Impact on Communication-effect and Consumer purchase behaviour. Asian Journal of Management. 2021; 12(2):144-6. doi: 10.52711/2321-5763.2021.000
16. S Shyam Prasad, Pratikshya Praharaj. Indian consumers' behaviour during COVID 19: An Exploratory Study. Asian Journal of Management. 2021; 12(2):215-0. doi: 10.52711/2321-5763.2021.00033
17. S. Dhanabagiyam. Impact of Digitalization on Travel Decisions in Coimbatore city. Asian Journal of Management. 2020;11(3):304-308. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2020.00047.5
18. R. Vijayalakshmi, T. R. Gurumoorthy, G. Lingavel, K. Praveenkumar. Consumer buying behaviour through Online shopping application in fast moving Consumer goods. Asian Journal of Management. 2020;11(3):315-320. doi: 10.5958/2321-5763.2020.00049.9
19. Purohit S, Purohit, S. (2021) Digitization in Indian Agriculture: Evolution from Simple to Smart Farming. Indian Journal of Economics and Development, Vol. 9, Pages: 6., Doi: https://doi.org/ 10.17485/IJED/v9.2021.51
20. Purohit S, Purohit, S. (2021) Evolution of Agriculture in India vis-à-vis Indian Economy: Shift in Farming Behavior, International Journal of Recent Advances in Multidisciplinary Research, Vol. 08, Issue 04, April 2021, pp 6752-6755
21. Sharma, D. (2018) You are probably getting conned at petrol pumps but there's a way to find out, The Economic Times News, Jul 08, 2018, 02:28 PM IST
22. Onemedia News (2017), How petrol pumps cheat you By Oneindia Sta" Writer | Published: Tuesday, January 24, 2017, 10:23 [IST], Onemedia News.
23. Purohit, S, Jain, AK. (2021) Analyzing Consumer Behavior Patterns in India Petro Retail, International Journal of Multidisciplinary Educational Research, Volume 10, Issue 5(1) May 2021, Pp 133-139.http://ijmer.in.doi./2021/10.05.115
24. World Economic Forum, white paper on Digital Transformation Initiatives of Oil and Gas industry, 2017
25. Purohit, S, Jain, A.K. (2021) The Science of Choice: Demystifying Consumer Preference in Indian Petro-Retail, Paideuma Journal of Research, Vol XIV, issue 5, pp 17-27.
26. Purohit S, Jain AK (2021) Leveraging IoT and AI for delivering tailor-made customer experiences in Indian petro retailing. Indian Journal of Science and Technology 14(7): 604-609. https://doi.org/ 10.17485/IJST/v14i7.3
27. Purohit S, Jain A.K, Purohit S. (2021) Evaluation of the efficacy of IoT deployment on Petro-Retail Operations, Turkish Journal of Computer and Mathematics Education, Vol 12, NO.1 (2021), pp 353-363
28. Purohit, S, Purohit S. (2021) Digital payments in Indian Petro-Retail: adoption and change in Landscape, International Journal for Research in Engineering Application and Management (IJREAM), Vol-06, Issue-12, 2021, Pp 32- 38, DOI: 10.35291/2454-9150.2021.0082
30. Scrooll.in (2014), Five ways petrol pumps cheat you, Feb 12, 2014, 07:05 am, https://scroll.in/article/656161/five-ways-petrol-pumps-cheat-you
31. Jagoinvestor.com (2020), 7 types of Petrol Pump frauds (its a nationwide scam), https://www.jagoinvestor.com/2020/09/petrol-pump-frauds.html, September 16, 2020
33. The Hindu (2016), Malpractices fuel action against petrol pumps, The Hindu, Chennai July 31, 2016.
34. KPMG Report, Impact of Covid-19 on Digital Payments in India, August 2020. https://home.kpmg/in/COVID-19
35. Digipay. Guru, 2020, How contactless payments are driving digital payment services in times of COVID-19, https://www.digipay.guru/blog/contactless-payments-solutions-during-covid-19/
36. Zope, S.(2020) , How technology can boost consumer confidence for safe fueling at Gas Station, ET Energy World, Oct 17, 2020, https://energy.economictimes.indiatimes.com/energy-speak/author/2779/satish-zope
37. BPCL Blog, Contactless NFC enabled payment options retail outlets, 19 Oct 2020, \ https://www.bharatpetroleum.com/blog/Blog-Detail.aspx?id=24
38. India TV Business Desk, SBI, Indian Oil launch contactless RuPay debit card; check key benefits, Business News – India TV January 08, 2021, 12:34 IST https://www.indiatvnews.com/business/news-sbi-indian-oil-launch-contactless-rupay-debit-card-check-key-benefits-676821